• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Half Life + nausea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Half Life causes nausea? Pfft... Try playing Descent. :D

My friend has an aversion to FPS games. He can't play them because he will literally throw up from the disorientation. I get dizzy when I watch other people play FPS games. When I'm playing, I'm usually fine.

Just like many, I too know people who will experience very serious nausea when playing FPS's. I had my girlfriend play my CS:S while I had to take a duce, and when I came back, in less than 5 minutes, she had the monitor off and her head in her hands from playing. She was like that for a good 30 minutes. My co-worker who loves playing arcade games and Starcraft said that when he tried playing CS:S, he was on the edge of throwing up.

It is just amazing and crazy at the same time, how different we can all be from one another! :)

Bryan d

Half Life causes nausea? Pfft... Try playing Descent. :D

My friend has an aversion to FPS games. He can't play them because he will literally throw up from the disorientation. I get dizzy when I watch other people play FPS games. When I'm playing, I'm usually fine.

DESCENT WAS AWESOME!

No nausea there.

What I find weird (though it is a bit weird that I find it weird..) is that HL2 causes no nausea for me, but HL1 does. Not to mention ANY other FPS based on the GoldSrc or the Source engine.

I'm another of those people who gets nausea from playing HL2. However it was only the beach scenes. Larger monitor seems to make it worse. However, I forced myself through a restart of some of the gameplay on higher resolution, which started out worse, but I used some dramamine. After that, I seem to have adapted. I just played through Portal with only moderate nausea, though I made sure not to play more than an hour at a stretch. Fun game. :)

I used to get nausea when I have the room ligjhts off and an empty stomach. Now I play with the lights on and I keep a box of Slimjims available. For me the protien seems to ward off the nasuea.

Justy an FYI, its fairly common to experience it. Especially if you are older, or of Asian decent.

My brother mentioned to me the other day that the Japanese often get motion sickness with FPSs and so this explains why most FPSs aren't so popular over there. I don't have any articles proving it, but I know my friend can onyl handle 3rd person, not first.

My brother gets it sometimes but most of the time messing with screen ratio and monitor frequency usually helps some and sometimes make the nausea go away completely.

Justy an FYI, its fairly common to experience it. Especially if you are older, or of Asian decent.

My brother mentioned to me the other day that the Japanese often get motion sickness with FPSs and so this explains why most FPSs aren't so popular over there. I don't have any articles proving it, but I know my friend can onyl handle 3rd person, not first.

Obviously it's the price of being so disgustingly good at 2D beat em ups. ;)

This happened to me with HL2 (not HL1, CS, or CS:S, just HL2), but then I turned vsync on and my problem was solved.

A couple of friends of mine had this problem with Desent <---"spelling" but only that game no others. ODD HUH.

Does anyone else get sick from playing portal for too long?

If I play longer then 20 minutes it feels like I get car sick type of sick and my eyes get buggy with in that amount of time.

Does this seem weird to you?

And I'm sorry for bringing up an old post.

Not me, but than I have not had any problems with any games I have ever played. Honestly I suprised I have not seen coments about nasaue on some of the newer games with even better graphics, or htings like crysis's zero-G level.

Do you get sick just running around or does going through the portals make you sick?

Not me, but than I have not had any problems with any games I have ever played. Honestly I suprised I have not seen coments about nasaue on some of the newer games with even better graphics, or htings like crysis's zero-G level.

Do you get sick just running around or does going through the portals make you sick?
Pretty much going through portal's and some of the bright light areas

reminds me of when me and my friend played this game for the PS2. I think it was called Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter. the flash-bangs in that game had a strobe-like effect that nearly sent me into seziures. needless to say i dont play that game anymore.

it affects me as well, not hl2, but ep 1 did and portal does, and Decent, lol that one I couldn't play for 5 minutes

Yeah, if I play for more than an hour Portal starts doing a number on my gut.

Portal I can understand, that game is disorienting. I never got sick playing it though :)

Quake 3 Arena had that effect on me, but no other game since. Its just so much movement, more than any other game IMO. HL2, it would happen after about 2 hours on the game, and it was short lived, but thats about it.

Back