• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What OS to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
I'm looking at getting a new OS and was wondering. Should I get Windows XP, Windows 2000 Pro or the 2000, Windows ME or should I just stick with Windows 98 S.E. I play games like Ghost Recon, Delta Force2 and LW, and The Sims. I know The Sims will not work with XP and they have no plans right now of making a patch. I'm looking for something that will not hog my ram so to speak.

Go w/ Windows 2000 Pro. Its incredibly stable, fast, secure, and all of those games that you listed there work w/ it. The only games that I've had problems w/ in Win2k are ones that require Real Mode DOS.

One of my friends is running The Sims under Win2k with no problems. She also has a laptop with XP on it, but I don't know if she's tried Sims with it.

I say run Win2k, its the best of the Windoze. Wait at least a year before you consider WinXP. I always wait a year or so for service patches and stuff to come out for every MSFT OS. Stay away from 95/98/ME.

Looking at your hardware its kinda getting wasted with 98SE. I really notice the difference between 98SE and Win2k, 2k is simply faster. The memory management is so much better. NTFS is good too, I don't get errors like with FAT. The kernel allows things that 95/98/ME just can't do (e.g. light-weight threads i think). You don't have to tweak the registry for performance like 98SE, the OS is already tweaked. People say its a resource hog, but with 256meg mem you've got plenty.

I've been running 2k for a year now and it hasn't screwed me yet.

Look at thread for more of my arguments:
http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52288

Considering you are a gamer, you might want to consider a dual-boot if necessary though.

Ok cool thats kinda what I was leaning towards. I think I'll stay away from XP til all the bugs are worked out of it. So far Windows 98S.E. has been really nice to me well til I got the Dragon+. The whole thing with the dual boot is I don't know how to do that yet. But if everything I have will work with W2K Pro them I'm cool with it.

Last edited:
I duel boot WinXP and Win98 se.. I Put all my games on the 98 partition although I have never had any problems running any games, or running any thing for that matter on XP ..But I like to reformat a lot so it saves me from installing all my games again..IMO XP is a better OS then 2000 mostly for compatibility reasons.SP3 might address these other compatibility problems...

Last edited:
Really :eh?: At TheSims web site it says it won't work and they have no plan of making a patch. Will XP work with MusicMatch 7.0? I already know if I do the upgrade I have to get a new Norton`s Anti-Virus cause 2001 will not work with it.

Last edited:
Klownin79 where do play LW? same name? i'm a big fan of the game, theres about 7 or 8 of us here that play i think the best is AKdude but i have not seen him in a while.

Klownin79 said:
Really :eh?: At TheSims web site it says it won't work and they have no plan of making a patch. Will XP work with MusicMatch 7.0? I already know if I do the upgrade I have to get a new Norton`s Anti-Virus cause 2001 will not work with it.
I'm not sure about music match 7.0 as I don't have it but The Sims seemed to run with no problems as far as I could see...what problems is the sims supposed to have?? Maybe I can try and duplicate it

Defintely go with Windows 2000 with SP2(soon sp3) its currently the most stable os for most of us. Windows XP is basically windows 2000 with gui.

Step away from WinME, it can only hurt you badly. I tried WinXP but I had way too many problems with my CD-RW and the buggy Roxio software. Stayed with Win2k Pro, I recommend it highly.

I like XP pro, but i came from the land of win9x, so I don't know anything about 2k. IMHO I think you should go with XP and run the sims in win2k compatability mode.

Back