• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[OFFICIAL] Free ICD7 thermal compound for OCF members Results Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My turn. This is _way_ overdue, but I am glad to finally share my unscientific conclusion: ICD7 is better than AS Matrix or AS5. Just get it.

I am wrapping up a build an i7 950 @3.8 on air w/HT with ICD7, and am getting ~-3C below AS Matrix and ~-6C below AS5 in controlled conditions (same ambient, voltages, speeds, etc,) running Intel Burn Test, then Rosetta@Home.

With an ambient of 24C, using Real Temp, the avg is low-mid 70s with ICD7 vs mid-high 70s with AS Matrix, vs high 70s to low 80s with AS5. I will admit the AS5 isn't fully broken in though. This is with an Arctic Freezer Pro7 rev2 at full speed, board sitting on top of a static bad that's reflecting heat back onto the board. I am sure my temps will drop slightly when this is in the case. And if this was high end air or water, the temps would be stellar.

Thanks for the tube, Joe. My only regrets are not using this sooner, and not keeping up my end of the bargain sooner!

Hope all had happy holiday's and appropriately celebrated Perihelion day yesterday as well.

latest giveaway results from Germany, close to 90% returns - highest yet, wow.

First giveaway results on Perihelion & IC Diamond

m0r7if3r - The horizontal axis on these aren't labeled, are they test cases? If so...it seems like contact is more important than pressure in terms of dropping temps.

Each point is a test case - Pick a point and you have the pressure and corresponding area in contact related to temperature improvement.

Pressure dominates, More pressure yields better results assuming no barriers like overly warped contact surfaces.

drshivas -Thanks for the tube, Joe. My only regrets are not using this sooner, and not keeping up my end of the bargain sooner!

Always happy to get more data even if it takes a couple of years!

Galganaban - thanks for posting, again always appreciated

Ben333 - No sweat - Folding for Team 32? I can do a 20 syringe IC diamond 24 giveaway or sponsor a competition if it's OK with the powers that be. I have a weak spot for Folding

ic_survey_21.11.gif

Ah, thanks Joe. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I ran F@H, probably towards the end of 07 when I had my X3210. I might start back up again when I build my new desktop.

I just did a remount of my HSF last night and used a free sample of IC Diamond that I got from a member on the evga forums...

Ran some stress testing last night; before and after re-doing the HSF with ICD.

HW Setup:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555BE @ 3600MHz (1.325V)
HSF: Thermalright Inferno FX-14
Fans:
Delta 92x92x38 6000rpm 120CFM
Sharkoon Silent Eagle SE 120mm
Case: CM 690 II Advanced
Old TIM: Cooler Master HTK-002-U1
New TIM: IC Diamond

I ran four tests:
Old TIM with Delta (PWM Controlled 1800 - 4000 rpm): Idle: 23C Load: 39C --> Maxing the fan out would not yield any better temps.
New TIM with Delta (PWM Controlled 1800 - 4000 rpm): Idle: 22C Load: 34C --> Maxing the fan out would not yield any better temps.

Old TIM with Sharkoon (PWM Controlled 700 to 1800 rpm): Idle: 25C Load: 44C --> The Sharkoon only goes up to 1800 rpm and it's not nearly as strong as the Delta, but it still managed an extremely good perormance.
New TIM with Sharkoon (PWM Controlled 700 to 1800 rpm): Idle: 21C Load: 40C --> Even with the less powerful fan the temps at 100% load could not break past the 40C mark.

Conclussion: IC Diamond is the best TIM I've used to date. I can now leave the Sharkoon in there and not have to run the Delta 24/7; which even when slowed down to 25% speed was very loud.

ordered some of this stuff... folding right now with a 2600k running at 4.3 ghz.. haven't done any major tweaking to get max speed at lowest voltage yet, I just went and set the multiplier at 43 in the asus p67 pro bios, set the memory to 1600mhz and left everything on auto.. my guess is the mobo is giving the CPU a bit more volts then it needs to run at this speed but not by that much, it's 1.25 to 1.26 volts.

Using some MX-2 compound now on a lapped Zalman CNPS10X-Performa and a lapped 2600k IHS and it's folding with a stable temp of 56C. Ambient room temperature is 68.4 degrees F. Will post folding temps when I install the I-diamond stuff at same ambient room temps, same clock frequency.

sss.jpg

Last edited:
Got my IC Diamond today and applied per instructions. Fired up folding @ home with an ambient temperature of 68.6 degrees F to see a reduction in temps of around 4 degrees C. Keep in mind the fan is only spinning at 1935RPM instead of 2000 RPM because of the cooler temps. Not bad at all. The difference would be even greater if I was running prime 95. After a bit more testing, time to find my a good balanced overclock level.. I'll probably settle around 4.5ish.

icdiamond.jpg

It's carried at MC, not sure if JoeC monitors this thread any more, so you may not be able to get it free. Otherwise you can order it with free shipping from SVC

overclockers.com was our 1st group survey we did and and a lot of good stuff came out of it. So now at 20 giveaways the most recent from OCUK with something a little different

This set of data that separates OCUK from all the 20 or so groups tested by us.

In the past water cooling is usually less than 5% of the sampled results, on OCUK at this point we are 30% water cooling(marked in red), 70% air.

What made it readily obvious was the statistical cluster of 20% water in the marginal-zero-negative result category. The other 10% is mostly the H50 in the performed as expected group. Might be linked to compound mix but I have a sense that it may have an overall edge in C/P for the H50.
In any event The air cooler group (marked blue) has it over the water with pretty much positive results across the board.

OCUKMarch27updatechart.png

this group being ground zero with the first 40 or so tests we are now over 700

allforums702usersmarch30.png

We have been doing a IC Diamond Reliability Survey over at Notebook Review with some interesting results, although only halfway through the survey a major factor in long term reliability relates to Contact and Pressure as we went through the process here with C/P and performance same applies to long term use.

When you have full contact with thermal and mechanical loads in sync with each other fully/evenly distributed across the entire processor and would be a likely canidate for long term use.

ICDIAMOND-NOTEBOOKREVIEWRELIABILITYSURVEYNOV292012UPDATE.png

Just some quick notes

Looking at the data to date it looks to be trending that if you hit a year with no change you are probably clear for extended 1.5- 2- 3 year use. A temp rise above +5C within the first year is a pretty good indicator that you will hit + 20C by year 2.

A kind of a go- no go indicator, those that hit in the 20C range I would call a failure and would repaste and while you have the system apart consider lapping the sink or some mod as TanWare's to improve contact. To note I have a couple of retailers that have agreed to test market the Contact and Pressure indicating film and should retail around $5-$8. Note that we are not selling the product and will not profit from it, we are only promoting it's general use for end users as a tool for improving performance/reliability

I am assuming a 5C +/- error on these tests as most are sloppy about reporting ambients.

As noted in my previous post there does not appear to be any correlation yet as to higher initial temps leading to a failure. Technos started with an initial temp of 58 C and at close to the one year mark ended up 19.25 C while Karamazovmm whose initial temp was 95C ended the year at 90C basically unchanged. There are other examples but this happens to be one of the more extreme. This was a suprise to me as typically notebooks runan average of 15C higher than the overclocked systems so I was expecting some indication in that direction at this point perhaps needs more time.

Applied thermal compound is simple stuff as things go, two mating surfaces with some goop in between and there are not too many avenues to explore to explain a difference in results other than amount of compound applied (we assume everbody gets this one right) Then the contact and pressure between the two joining surfaces.

As we discovered with the C/P testing the weak point in this simple setup is in the contact and is a reasonble cause for good result or bad result or something in between.

Note below yknyong1 contact area being worst case most of the heat transfer would be in the corner/edge area, a significat heat concentration more like a soldering Iron this edge corner/area would be the part of the joint to fail first and as the remaing paste is lightly contacted would then run at higher temps baking out initially then delaminating with further thermal cycling. This kind of contact is a likely canidate for early failure

The following BlazeSempai example at the other end is full contact with thermal and mechanical loads in sync with each other fully/evenly distributed across the entire processor and would be a likely canidate for long term use.

This is as simple as it gets.

yknyong1- Apple Macbook Air13 i5

2lllw.png

BlazeSempai p 8700

BlazeSempaip8700.png

Back