• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Statik

Hey all,

I'm looking to build a small form factor media pc. probably in the ITX format somewhere. Basically, I am torn and not really sure what to decide on, so I thought I would throw it out there for suggestions. I have looked at a lot, but am not really sure of how "much" i need.

My intent for the machine is not terribly intense. I am looking to play movies and files over my network from another PC, have the ability to display good HD, and possibly play basic games like through a DOS emulator.

so yeah, just looking for opinions. I have an X-Fi I plan to use for sound, but don't need any other pci slots unless video isn't onboard.

Also, looking for opinions for software to use on it. I have all my storage in NTFS right now, so it would have to be able to read that, but otherwise i am open to considering linux or something if it's managable.

so please, suggest away.

Hey all,

I'm looking to build a small form factor media pc. probably in the ITX format somewhere. Basically, I am torn and not really sure what to decide on, so I thought I would throw it out there for suggestions. I have looked at a lot, but am not really sure of how "much" i need.

My intent for the machine is not terribly intense. I am looking to play movies and files over my network from another PC, have the ability to display good HD, and possibly play basic games like through a DOS emulator.

so yeah, just looking for opinions. I have an X-Fi I plan to use for sound, but don't need any other pci slots unless video isn't onboard.

Also, looking for opinions for software to use on it. I have all my storage in NTFS right now, so it would have to be able to read that, but otherwise i am open to considering linux or something if it's managable.

so please, suggest away.

I dont know if you plan to go wireless, but if you do, make sure you put a fast wireless card in the machine so it can stream well.

You're definitely going to need one of the ITX boards that supports the higher-end C2D mobile processors. The onboard video the SFF boards have will not give any acceleration for HD content and the embedded processors (typcially the VIA C3) are not even close to being powerful enough.

You're definitely going to need one of the ITX boards that supports the higher-end C2D mobile processors. The onboard video the SFF boards have will not give any acceleration for HD content and the embedded processors (typcially the VIA C3) are not even close to being powerful enough.

Yeah, maybe one of these with a T5500/T7200 and then picking up something along the lines of of a ATI HD 2600pro for HD playback.

That looks good. Just go low profile on the video card or you'll ruin any reason for the ITX form factor.

I'd love to do an ITX-based solution to replace mine, but the cost is just way too high for me. Prices just skyrocket the smaller you go. They sure do look nice though :)

yeah, that's why i'm torn. I would like to go that small for the look and sleekness of it, but I am not sure it's worth the jump in price. how much cheaper would it be to go like micro-atx or something like that? would i still need about the equivilent power, like C2D ish?

for ITX i know there's a few jetway boards with HDMI on them and all, any thoughts on if those are powerful enough?

thanks again for the help all.

also, that board above is nice... how about anything nvidia to help with HD... never been a fan of ati myself. just gathering ideas.

Well, Theres always an 8400gs for low form factor, but Ive seen a few posts saying they arent powerful enough for HD but maybe a slightly OCed 8500GT will do it (thats the first low form factor 8500 I saw on newegg).

yeah, that's why i'm torn. I would like to go that small for the look and sleekness of it, but I am not sure it's worth the jump in price. how much cheaper would it be to go like micro-atx or something like that? would i still need about the equivilent power, like C2D ish?

for ITX i know there's a few jetway boards with HDMI on them and all, any thoughts on if those are powerful enough?

thanks again for the help all.

If you're going to get a video card that has HD acceleration, then you can go with an E21XX series. I'd say event the E1200 or Celeron 420/430 would work well if it's a dedicated system.

Going the mATX route can save up to a couple hundred dollars or more, depending on what your original ideas were based on. the ITX/mITX cases can be more than double a decent mATX enclosure (although I was surprised to see that some are quite reasonable, despite the cost of components that are required to fit in it). Plus, with the ITX cases, you're looking at extra expenses in purchasing 2.5" drives (HDD and optical).

I can't dispute the "coolness" factor of it, but I'd probably buy a prebuilt mini-HTPC before ever building one. Too many "gotchas" involved for me. I've just never seen one that I would be willing to spend on either, so it's a catch-22.

For me, the mATX is plenty small enough, cooler, cheaper, and parts are more easily found - as well as replaced.

For me, the mATX is plenty small enough, cooler, cheaper, and parts are more easily found - as well as replaced.

Yeah thats true, at $240 for the mobo and then $275-$300 for a T7200 (the cpus on that site are a little overpriced) you can build a decent quad core/mATX setup for that much, plus have an extra ~$120 for a graphics card that can play HD vids.

Back