• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting started

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HDCHOPPER

ok how do eye turn this thing on allready downloaded smp client & installed the n reading stickies on getting started and its a no go ....????

OK, you're running the windows SMP client I take it.

I have no experience with that one. :(

I'd say run a search & /or check the stickies.

We've had a rash of Win SMP - no goes lately.

thanks for your reply .... that try was from the stickies soooo eye will read some more thanks

Hang in there, the more you read about it the better.

You have that .NET thing installed? and updated?

What type of Windows? Vista? XP? 32 bit or 64 bit?

I run Ubuntu 64 bit mostly, but I know these things do matter.

Keep and eye here over the next day and be sure to post back.

and :welcome:

Go to the directory where the SMP client was installed by the installer... by default in Program Files\Folding @ Home something... not sure exactly I change the directory name when I install.

Anyway... from a command line, like you're at now, go to that directory and type install. This will fire the install.bat and it will ask you for your username and password (of the account you are currently logged in), give it that. Once those are entered correctly you should see something about MPI is working, twice.

Once you've got that... run this: fah -configonly

Enter your Folding ID (HDCHOPPER) and Team # 32. Make sure you answer "yes" to large work (> 5MB). You can just use the rest of the defaults for now.

Once you've got that... run this: fah -verbosity 9 -forceasm

That will start the client... it's recommended that you always use that startup command. Also, always use Ctrl+C to stop the client.

I'm going to bed now but will be back ~8:00am Central... don't get discouraged we'll get you going. :)

ok got it in ( dont use the dash) but then couldnt enter a password ? hit a key and nutten wouldnt print ? eye have no password on my comp only passwords eye use are the one eye use on the forums

do tell if it wants my comp's name ????

nutter ss

When you enter the password, nothing shows up in the console, it's a security thing.

You need to be logged in to Windows as a user with a password. If you don't have one, then SMP won't work properly. Go to Start-> Control Panel -> User Accounts, and either change your account to have a password, or make a new account and give it a password.

It said "Press any key to continue", so what happened when you pressed a key?

Here's what I'd do:

1) Open Windows Explorer and go to the FAH directory where it was installed.
2) Select the fah.exe file, and right click on it.
3) Select "create a shortcut" from the pop-up menu.
4) Now select the shortcut you just made for FAH, and right click on IT.
5) Select "Properties", and look for the "Target" line, about dead center.
6) On the end of the target line, outside the quotation marks, add this:
" -verbosity 9 -forceasm", without the quotes.
7) Click on Apply button, and save, and start up FAH smp, with your new shortcut (which I would drag to the desktop, just cause I'm lazy).

Note: there is one space before each hyphen, but no space after they hyphen, at all. FAH is very fussy about these things.

got it thanks all ! basic problum was as Adak pointed out in his note "space before hyphen
& no space after hyphen" my bust because eye only have 1 eye and that was hard to see hahahahhahahaaa no b/s

ss for you (cpu at 100%) .... if yall see sumthing here that would help please advise....

warning of overclock ? to bad eye dont take out my hot rod cam from my bike ever so why take off my overclock hahahaha

should eye change any of the settings eye picked?

and eye guess from here it just takes time ? please advise

Chopper, if you save the pic's with a ".png" extension, instead of jpeg, then I can read them.

Jpeg's lose so much info when they're created, the text is almost unreadable. Sometimes it is, in fact. Png images lose nothing when they're created.

thanks for the tip Adak will do ;)
thats a pic of my old 56 pan thier dfonda but eye love my softail after all those years of rideing hardtails its a dream hahahaah
thanks cuda havent stoped sence eye started ! cheers:beer:

just how many wu do ya get for going to 100% at 80% now 30 hours later ?
think after the first run ( to 100%) eye will stop it & put it all on another comp thats laying around here and let it just go & go right now eyema folding on my overclock play toy :bang head just jumped in with both feet not thinking about it too much hahahaaha

so when's the drawing ??
the sooner eye win that Q6600 the sooner eye can fold faster and heaver !! heheheheheehhehee

thanks again all for the help:)

Back