• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 850 or i845 chiset??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ritteri&Bubbles

Disabled
Hi I am looking for a new home for my Socket 478 Northwood Pentium4 2.2gig processor. I have the choice of going with either an 850 chipset or the new DDR i845. Money is not an issue, but STABILITY,COMPATIBILITY,and PERFORMANCE are! I have been looking over the Giga-byte GA-8IRXP for the i845 and the Asus P4T-E for the 850.

This rig will mostly be fore gaming,web browsing,printing digital pictures,running my DVD player and cd audio(along with MP3 music). Right now my current rig continues to give me stability and compatibility problems(Ive had it with chipsets for the AMD processors!)which I am sick of.

I run Windows XP professional and want to port over my SCSI card which runs my CD ROM. On the AMD platforms with motherboards that dont have RAID built in it has proven to be a hassel to get both a RAID card AND a SCSI card to run simultaneously together unless the RAID was built into the motherboard. For this reason I am leaning towards the GIga-byte board mentioned above because it has ATA133 RAID built onto it. Though it would be nice to know if an 850 chipset equipped motherboard WITHOUT RAID built in could incorperate both the RAID and SCSI card together. I currenty have to ATA133 HD's and would like to know if I could do a Highpoint RocketRAID 404 PCI RAID card along with my SCSI card on the Asus mobo. Even if I could which route is better? The Gigabyte with 845 DDR or 850 with RAMBUS????

Any help is appreciated! The more in depth the better too! Links etc welcome!

if you got the $$ and you want an Intel Chipset go 850 with
Rambus. Still a bit faster than DDR P4.
Just my $0.002

I am also considering the SOYO SY-P4S Dragon Ultra with the SIS 645 chipset. But STABILITY AND COMPATIBILITY mean more to me than an extra 2-3 fps in quake 3. Yes its a gaming rig to some sorts, but I want to play my programs day and night without the damn BSOD's,system errors etc kicking me in the butt! So Soyo has a few potential mobo's too.

I'd stick with an Intel chipset. You can be sure to have a stable system. RDRAM and DDR are now the same price, so take that out of the equation. Every test I have seen shows the i850 to be faster than the DDR setups. I'd go i850.

if you go SIS make sure you get the DDR333 if not.. well the i850 is still the best option

Back