• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP and ATA 100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoytron

I've been using windows XP for a few months now, and I think that it's the best version of windows out right now. I only have one problem: hard drive performance. It is **** poor. I have two IBM 30GB 7200 RPM drives RAID striped on a Highpoint 370 controller. In win 2000, they performed very well, about 40,000 in Sandra. Now, in win xp, they only get 13,000 max. I've heard that win xp natively disables ata 66 and 100, but there is a registry hack for intel chipsets, which I have(815E). The hack gave me only minimal performance gains. Now my 60GB ATA 100 RAID setup only performs as well as a single 18GB ATA 66 Drive. I want the performance that I paid for! Please help me.

Sandra is not a good hard drive benchmark.

Don't trust it.

TRy HDTach or ATTO. This issue has been brought up about 20 times in the forums over the past couple months.

this isn't a direct answer, but i can comment and say that there are many of us with the highpoint 370 controller that are having major speed issues within xp.

some suggestions that i have read include disabling unused COM and LPT ports in the bios, defragging religiously, making sure you're using an ata100 cable [which it seems you are, being that you scored high with w2k], down to "sandra sucks". none of these techniques have helped me too much, as my ibm gxp60 20 gig drives seem to live in the 25-28000 range in sandra.

if you DO happen to figure something, please do share with the rest of us. you're not alone :rolleyes:

Back