• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$32 shipped Epson Stylus CX8400 all in one - Refurb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Thought this was a good deal, ordered one yesterday and it shipped today, not to worried about it being a refurb since it was refurbed and sold by Epson directly.

Ordered this one

cx8400_216x144.jpg

They have others starting at $29 shipped Free shipping on all of them. Their best deals seem to be on the All in One printers, so here's some more starting at $29 clams shipped.

Attachments

• Epson1.jpg
    Epson1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 571
I would be wary, I looked at the Amazon reviews and there are quite a few complaints about the printer using up ink "priming" the cartridges when turned on, even when you don't print anything. This happened with my last Epson printer, it did use up quite a bit of ink for no reason.

As an aside, I got a HP all-in-one printer that is the worst printer ever made. I have to hand feed single sheets of paper for it to print, and a factory color cartridge exploded inside after working fine for a week. Even worse, you cannot use anything on the printer if one of the ink cartridges is out. Reviews of this printer on Amazon shared similar experiences, these printer companies really need to get off this "you need to buy our replacement crap to use our product" thing.

Good deals here.

I'm just ordered a Cannon monochrome laser AIO this morning from Staples. Saw it on SD. $40 +$10 tax AR w/ FS. Its sold out now, though.

My current AIO inkjet (Cannon MP530) won't print black anymore. The 1st cartridges lasted almost 2yrs. Black started to run out, so I refilled it like I do w/ all my printers. It kept fading worse, so I ordered a refurb cartridge. Still kept fading, and eventually stopped printing black at all. I read on a forum to try an actual OEM cartridge. Just ended up wasting more money...it still doesn't print black. I've wasted so much money on useless ink now I'm sick of inkjet! Time to give laser a test drive!

I would be wary, I looked at the Amazon reviews and there are quite a few complaints about the printer using up ink "priming" the cartridges when turned on, even when you don't print anything. This happened with my last Epson printer, it did use up quite a bit of ink for no reason.

As an aside, I got a HP all-in-one printer that is the worst printer ever made. I have to hand feed single sheets of paper for it to print, and a factory color cartridge exploded inside after working fine for a week. Even worse, you cannot use anything on the printer if one of the ink cartridges is out. Reviews of this printer on Amazon shared similar experiences, these printer companies really need to get off this "you need to buy our replacement crap to use our product" thing.

+1

It's gotten to where it's just cheaper to throw the printer away once it runs out of ink, and buy a new one you can find a deal on. I don't care too much for this throw-away attitude, but the printer companies force our hands w/ the extravagant price it takes to maintain their devices.

It seems like the printer companies make less money this way. I mean, the printer + ink has got to be more expensive to manufacturer than just the ink. So why does it cost more to get ink replacements than it does to get a whole new device? Poor business model IMO.

My last Epson Photo printer was great. I used 'the Always Full' OEM cartridges, this allows me to refill the ink for pennies and you refill them without removing the ink cartridges from the printer. I also own a Epson chip reseter and I'll surely will pick up another 'Always Full' cartridge for this model.

Where do you get those cartridgers "oem always full"? I also have an Epson printer and it does prime everytime you turn it on an off. I just leave it on.

Where do you get those cartridgers "oem always full"? I also have an Epson printer and it does prime everytime you turn it on an off. I just leave it on.

There are cheaper ways of doing what I did, the right way is to change the chip(s).

What Epson printer do you have?

In the meantime, this SSC Service Utility for Epson Printers may be worth downloading

I own this printer, and indeed it does exactly what you stated. Just turning it off and on uses ink. Also, you don't get that many pages out of the cartridges. I had used mine to print photos and inserts for DVD's. I would get maybe 50 pictures or inserts (on high quality mode) before running out of one of the colors, typically black or cyan. I started buying cartridges a dozen at a time.

+1

It's gotten to where it's just cheaper to throw the printer away once it runs out of ink, and buy a new one you can find a deal on. I don't care too much for this throw-away attitude, but the printer companies force our hands w/ the extravagant price it takes to maintain their devices.

It seems like the printer companies make less money this way. I mean, the printer + ink has got to be more expensive to manufacturer than just the ink. So why does it cost more to get ink replacements than it does to get a whole new device? Poor business model IMO.

Exactly. For a while, that is precisely what I was doing - using a printer until it ran out of ink, then giving it away and buying a new one.

Manufacturers do this on purpose. It's the old razor & razor blade system. They take a loss on the razor - giving it away for free - hoping to make a lot of money selling you razor blades. Same thing with gaming consoles - there's no margin on the systems (especially for retailers) but there's a healthy profit on the games and accessories.

A set of cartridges for this printer will run at least $80 from a b&m store.

What SS suggested is one solution. Using generic ink with this printer would make it quite a bargain, bringing the cost per page way down. The only drawback is the hassle and possible mess. As for myself, I decided to get a color laser.

I'm also unhappy with the way most printer vendor profits off ink and sell printer cheap. If everyone started buying new printer instead of new ink, the vendor may even stop including ink completely.

My current printer is an Epson c88 that I got cheap as refurbished 2 years ago. I also picked up a CIS (Continuous Ink System) for $50 shipped, and 4 bottles of ink. Grand total of about $90 for all and I figure I have printed 10,000 pages by now.

Epson ink carts are $80 per set last I checked and they go maybe 500 pages top. So that is $1,600 Epson didn't get from me because of their greedy marking plan. The moment my printer starts giving me trouble and the usual head cleaning doesn't work anymore, out it goes and another new printer in.

PS I do the same thing with my electric razor. If the blade sharpening doesn't help or if the blade gets broken, it gets pitched for a new razor. New blades were $40 when I checked, and I paid $30 for the whole razor I am using currently. :lol:

I have the CX6000 AIO. Not a bad printer, have also noticed it uses more ink than previous and comparable Lexmarks I've owned. The good news is the cheap ink works in these so I've stocked up on $150 worth of ink at Epson's prices for only $30 shipped ;).

www.pricesmartink.com

They get the ink out the door fast.

I'm also unhappy with the way most printer vendor profits off ink and sell printer cheap. If everyone started buying new printer instead of new ink, the vendor may even stop including ink completely.

My current printer is an Epson c88 that I got cheap as refurbished 2 years ago. I also picked up a CIS (Continuous Ink System) for $50 shipped, and 4 bottles of ink. Grand total of about $90 for all and I figure I have printed 10,000 pages by now.

Epson ink carts are $80 per set last I checked and they go maybe 500 pages top. So that is $1,600 Epson didn't get from me because of their greedy marking plan. The moment my printer starts giving me trouble and the usual head cleaning doesn't work anymore, out it goes and another new printer in.

PS I do the same thing with my electric razor. If the blade sharpening doesn't help or if the blade gets broken, it gets pitched for a new razor. New blades were $40 when I checked, and I paid $30 for the whole razor I am using currently. :lol:

This has already started in some ways. A few manufacturers are including limited capacity ink or toner cartridges with the printer, so you have to buy full sized refills shortly after getting the printer. Xerox does it. The color laser we got at work - a Phaser 6250 - came with tiny toner cartridges. Each color held maybe 1/5th the amount as a full sized one. So rather than lasting thousands of pages, they lasted mere hundreds.

iam still running on my 2 canon pixma ip3000's
one mine and one my gf's

had em for several years now

no chips
not to much hassle
nice prints(even photo prints look tits)

been using the cheapo refil kits
u can get at frys or wherever

sometimes i make a mess
but thats the only price i pay

if things get too funky
i can always replace the printer head
if i can still find one
when it goes out

Nice i wish i had seen this a few days ago.My Epson Stylus died and in a panic i order a
Canon PIXMA MP190.Its still sealed in the box.I might have to return it and grab this

Well Fedex delivered the Epson printer an hour ago, but my crazy cat has taken possession of the box and he's got that crazy look on his face so I'll open the box after he's done playing with the box.

Attachments

• feb3 006.jpg
    feb3 006.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 435
Forgot to update the thread,

This Epson printer was definitely not refurbished. It was brand spanking new with all the accessories.

My next step is to price ink refill cartridges, normally I buy my Epson cartridge at Supermediastore.com for $3-$5 dollars each if I'm not refilling the ink myself. the CX8400 cartridges there are $5.90 per color, so I may just buy a set of always full Epson cartridges or just buy the chips. The find a source for Durabrite ultra ink. (if possible)

For $32 shipped this was a good deal imho. :santa:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 403
Hey cool SSS, mine came the same way. It's a little on the slow side for PPM, but after a quick head alignment, it's right on point with nice quality.

I also find the scanner to be a bit on the slow side but the image quality is nice there as well.

Back