• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7a266 and Windows XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VegetaQ

Heres my problem, I also posted this in Motherboards. But I figured maybe a Windows expert might have better insight.

Hey, I have a question for anyone who might have an answer.

I finally got my Swiftec HSF. mmmm. Great for my temps. and I was ready to try and get more of an overclock. Right now I have it at an 140 FSB (280) and 10.5 Multiplier at 1.8 Volts (Original processor is 1.2 AXIA Athlon.

Now, I usually test to find out of it works a simple way. If I pump up the FSB and it posts im usually happy. Now, I have seen people with my board have the FSB up to 180 (wow) and I wanted to try to get to at least 150.

Now I tried it at 150 with an 11 Mult. Ok no go no boot. Took off power rebooted went into bios. Ok so I tried it with an 10 Mult. Perfect nice post beep looking healthy. Booting into windows. Now heres my doorstop. I have Windows Xp and it tells me "Windows has halted and will not load due to an error in the registry" (It gives me some type of key location too. I don't have it here but I can get it.)

And when I go back and turn up the Mult but the FSB down It loads fine. So im pretty confused. If anyone has any suggestions. Ill try it. Thanks!

IDE controller or hard drive doesn't like the bus speed. In my short experience with XP, it took all of 3 different installs on 3 PCs to realize it was horrible for overclocking.

Went back to Win2K and haven't bothered with XP again.

Jon said:
IDE controller or hard drive doesn't like the bus speed. In my short experience with XP, it took all of 3 different installs on 3 PCs to realize it was horrible for overclocking.

Went back to Win2K and haven't bothered with XP again.

Jon,

Actually I need to redo my sig a bit, I knew I forgot something, I did remove the controller. And 2k. ewww. I don't want to loose gaming performance (not that it would be that bad. ) but 2k eww.

Do you really think thats my only option?

Back off your overclock would be the only other option. Registry and system file errors are direct result of IDE devices not handling high PCI buses.

I don't know how you think Win2K is that bad in gaming when compared to XP. I gained maybe 75 3DMarks going from one to the other and could tell no difference at all in actual use.

Jon said:
Back off your overclock would be the only other option. Registry and system file errors are direct result of IDE devices not handling high PCI buses.

I don't know how you think Win2K is that bad in gaming when compared to XP. I gained maybe 75 3DMarks going from one to the other and could tell no difference at all in actual use.

So my little maxtor is the problem.

But if the hdd is the problem how will going to 2k help? (I would be willing to try it If it will help my Oc. Im trying to catch up with my roomates 50% oc 1 to 1.5. Plus Im trying to get my memory benchmarks a little better by increasing my Fsb)

But is looks like Mr.Maxtor might be thwarting my attempts.

Not sure that Win2k would help. I just know that I lost at least 10MHz on my bus overclock on each of the systems I tried XP on.

My dual PIII on an ECS D6VAA wouldn't overclock at all with XP...does 150MHz with Win2K. Lost 7MHz on my Abit VP6 when trying XP. Went from 150MHz to 143MHz.

My EPoX 8K7A+ normally ran 166MHz on Win2K and wouldn't even begin to load at that speed on XP...didn't bother with it anymore past that point.

Win2k just seems to accept a little more punishment in my cases.

Jon said:
Not sure that Win2k would help. I just know that I lost at least 10MHz on my bus overclock on each of the systems I tried XP on.

My dual PIII on an ECS D6VAA wouldn't overclock at all with XP...does 150MHz with Win2K. Lost 7MHz on my Abit VP6 when trying XP. Went from 150MHz to 143MHz.

My EPoX 8K7A+ normally ran 166MHz on Win2K and wouldn't even begin to load at that speed on XP...didn't bother with it anymore past that point.

Win2k just seems to accept a little more punishment in my cases.

hMM. Well If I can get the Fortitude needed I may consider Dffr and installing 2k. But All that useless stuff ive accumulated. hmm. Defeintley something Ill have to ponder. I think ill work with it a little more. Maybe I can pump some more on the mult. thanks for the info Jon.

VegetaQ said:

So my little maxtor is the problem.

But if the hdd is the problem how will going to 2k help? (I would be willing to try it If it will help my Oc. Im trying to catch up with my roomates 50% oc 1 to 1.5. Plus Im trying to get my memory benchmarks a little better by increasing my Fsb)

But is looks like Mr.Maxtor might be thwarting my attempts.

He's not saying your hard drive is the problem. He's saying your IDE controller is the problem. it doesn't like running at that high of a bus speed. It would'nt matter what hard drive you put on there, it'll still have problem's. Now on the other hand the OS does make a difference with this just as Jon has said.

Win 2K is no worse off for gaming in my opinion then XP is. Sure there may be a few games that work with XP that don't with win 2K but I have yet to run into any. All the game's I have that don't work with Win 2k will not work with XP either. And these are all older games I have no interest in playing anymore anyway.

I think XP's a lot pickier with hardware then win 2k. I could throw anything in my system with win 2k and works great. With XP on the other hand I'll get BSOD's at bootup at times while installing new hardware.

bdf24 said:

He's not saying your hard drive is the problem. He's saying your IDE controller is the problem. it doesn't like running at that high of a bus speed. It would'nt matter what hard drive you put on there, it'll still have problem's. Now on the other hand the OS does make a difference with this just as Jon has said.

Win 2K is no worse off for gaming in my opinion then XP is. Sure there may be a few games that work with XP that don't with win 2K but I have yet to run into any. All the game's I have that don't work with Win 2k will not work with XP either. And these are all older games I have no interest in playing anymore anyway.

I think XP's a lot pickier with hardware then win 2k. I could throw anything in my system with win 2k and works great. With XP on the other hand I'll get BSOD's at bootup at times while installing new hardware.

No I removed that though. (I forgot to update my sig) that has not been in theyre for a long time though. And im still getting those errors while trying to boot with a high fsb. And while im not too opposed to 2k ive just grown so fond of xp (seems more stable than 2k to me) plus I have a complex about not dffr. lol. Im

BTW I did up the VCore to its highest rating and it went into windows at 145 fsb. But it did not last more than 25 seconds before crashing. I wish I could think of what else it is. Im having troubles getting it back to 1.4 stable. I don't think it likes me anymore =)

Back