• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X3 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you know trickson, I've been on this forum a long time. For some reason I had it in my mind that you were a respectable member of the old school OCing community and I was interested in reading your post. But now I've read the last few posts in the AMD section and now I see what you're truely like. How disappointing.

Anyway, to BlackEdition, the phenom X4 and the intel core2quads are just about equal, you're not going to notice any difference. different reviews have different results, depending on the the reviewers bias.

to trickson: my mother is bigger than yours! see if your 4ghz oc intel can beat that:santa:

WTF ?? Why the **** do you all have to gang RAPE ME ?? Leave me alone ok ? I am getting the AMD Phenom II 940 OK ! **** ! What more can I do to prove that I am no fanboy??

WTF ?? Why the **** do you all have to gang RAPE ME ?? Leave me alone ok ? I am getting the AMD Phenom II 940 OK ! **** ! What more can I do to prove that I am no fanboy??

i own a 360 and im a sony fanboy, it doesnt prove anything. your posts prove what you are

I was just at frys. The 710 is listed as $124, while the 720 was listed at $144. Not bad. I would be tempted but then i keep remember that the Q8200 is around the same price but 1 core more. :O and with the 720 I would have to spend another $140 on a decent motherboard which would kinda bring it over the top.

Which Fry's? Mine doesn't have them yet.

Dude you're the one that start the war. You are in the amd cpu forum, you know Intel cpu forum is just one click away, the op was just asking for some result and you turn the thread into a circus, so just don't come on this side if you don't have anything to say about what the op was asking for. Just don't come on this side and we'll leave you alone. Btw, my mother is still bigger than yours:santa:

what is the amd1815 promo code? I just tried it and newegg says my order did not meet criteria...

Which Fry's? Mine doesn't have them yet.

on the west coast heheh :santa2: yeah we have it over here already. If i remember correctly microcenter near me should be getting them fairly soon as well. I would love to pick one up, but dont' want to spend more than $80 on a motherboard. Any good motherboard at $80 or under that can take the X3 to 3.5GHz? If so I am sold! will pick one up tomorrow and post results :santa:

Gigabyte just released a 780-based board, I think it's a UD4H, that should be an awesome budget clocker, going by my experience with their other UD3 boards :thup:

on the west coast heheh :santa2: yeah we have it over here already. If i remember correctly microcenter near me should be getting them fairly soon as well. I would love to pick one up, but dont' want to spend more than $80 on a motherboard. Any good motherboard at $80 or under that can take the X3 to 3.5GHz? If so I am sold! will pick one up tomorrow and post results :santa:

My board goes for $90 at Newegg and perhaps this is the board sno is referring to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128379

Dolk maybe my son can contribute to your research. just build him for xmas a computer, but I had the bad idea to get him to watch this forum:bang head. Anyway he is now bugging me for thr pII x3, he have noe now a toliman 8750, with the latest bios available at xmas time. the mobo is ECS A790GXM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard. He lives about 1200 miles from me (Montreal, Canada) do you think that I can just send him the cpu and it will work fine? ( He know how to put a cpu in we build his comp together) but flashing a bios I don't think so

Dolk maybe my son can contribute to your research. just build him for xmas a computer, but I had the bad idea to get him to watch this forum:bang head. Anyway he is now bugging me for thr pII x3, he have noe now a toliman 8750, with the latest bios available at xmas time. the mobo is ECS A790GXM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard. He lives about 1200 miles from me (Montreal, Canada) do you think that I can just send him the cpu and it will work fine? ( He know how to put a cpu in we build his comp together) but flashing a bios I don't think so

haha wow icebob you are one nice dad! shouldn't be that hard to put the cpu in. I think that is one thing I like about AMD. Their mounting system for the cpu heatsink is so good. Intel's push pin mounting system sucks.

bios flashing is relatively easy, at least now adays. Most use something along the lines of a windows based flash utility where you run the bios update file in windows, it restarts your compy and flashes your bios, then restarts and it comes up with the new bios, no need to do anything but that.

bios flashing is relatively easy, at least now adays. Most use something along the lines of a windows based flash utility where you run the bios update file in windows, it restarts your compy and flashes your bios, then restarts and it comes up with the new bios, no need to do anything but that.

Flashing the bios in windows:eek: not sure about that

Welcome to the AMD side of life. I think some people are poking fun now so ignore them and it'll cool down. If your reason for getting the PII 940 was overclocking then it'll be up there with some of the best you've had. I relate my PII to about where my Q6600 was when I had it so as long as your board is good and not issues then you will have some fun.

Icebob, chill, the man has been cool. Lets just forget about the incident.

Welcome to the AMD side of life. I think some people are poking fun now so ignore them and it'll cool down. If you reason for getting the PII 940 was overclocking then it'll be up there with some of the best you've had. I relate my PII to about where my Q6600 was when I had it so as long as your board is good and not issues then you will have some fun.

Yeah LOL .
Yes I really am excited about this I can hardly wait to see just how high this CPU will go . I have to get tons of new things so it is going to take some time I think I listed the things I am getting ! AMD really does ROCK and just looking at the OC some are getting 5.5 GHz is my new goal !

Good stuff. The amd1815 code will get you $15 bucks off any PII processor.

anyone curious about flashing bios may want to check out this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=594408

dolk, good stuff. I almost went that route myself but my math skills were weak, so I went down the IT/implementation/troubleshooting end of it instead. There is a place near me that will print out circuit boards for you if you go to them with the design, pretty cool stuff.

How does everyone think of the AMD 770 chipset? If its good or decent enough to hit atleast 3.5GHz I might just pick it up as frys and microcenter has it near me for about $80. If im going to build an X3 i better do it quick before i decide against it!

I was just at frys. The 710 is listed as $124, while the 720 was listed at $144. Not bad. I would be tempted but then i keep remember that the Q8200 is around the same price but 1 core more. :O and with the 720 I would have to spend another $140 on a decent motherboard which would kinda bring it over the top.

What fry's? What state? Az doesn't have them yet.

Back