BIOS reporting new CPU every time and only reports 767MB RAM to OS

I'm having a really odd problem, and I think it's motherboard related. Yesterday, I decided to swap a core 2 duo into my HTPC machine to try to get the virtual windows XP thing working. It kept coming up with "New CPU detected... press f1 to enter bios or f2 to load default settings and continue." I went into the BIOS and made sure the settings were correct and did a save and exit, then it came up with the message again. I thought it might be that the BIOS wasn't compatible with the core 2 duo I was using, so I updated it but that didn't help. Now I put the core 2 quad that was working fine before back in and it still is giving me the error every time.

Now this really isn't a big deal since I hardly ever reboot my HTPC machine, but there's another problem. I have 4GB of memory installed, and it shows up fine as 4GB in the BIOS, but when I boot into Windows it is only showing 767MB. In the Windows 7 resource monitor, the other 3.3GB are shown as "Hardware Reserved - Memory that is reserved by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals." Now the computer is running really slowly and paging to the hard drive constantly. I never had this problem before I tried to do the CPU swap. What's happening here?

Here's what I'm running
    Asus P5N7A-VM
    Core 2 Quad Q8200 or Core 2 Duo E6600
    Crucial 2x2GB RAM

BTW, the clock and BIOS settings are being stored fine so it doesn't seem to be a CMOS battery issue.
    Last edited by SpaceyWilly; 05-16-09 at 12:30 PM.
    My Comp:

Athlon XP Barton 2500+ ------------Asus A7V8X
    1024mb HyperX PC2700 RAM------Chieftec BLUE Dragon Series Case
    5 BLUE Neon LED Fans--------------Leadtek 6800le unlocked to 12x1, 6vp
    AverTV TV Tuner--------------------Logitech Z5300s
    17" Dell 1704FPT--------------------Microsoft BLUE Optical Mouse
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    Gateway FPD2185W 21" Widescreen monitor
    Laptop: Dell 600m, Pentium M 1.60ghz, 512mb ddr, Radeon Mobility 9000, DVD/CD-RW Combo

sounds like you may need to update your bios to a later bios
    Rich
    mb rampage 2 extreme
    cpu i7 920do
    ram kingston 1600 3x1gig
    video ati 4890 1gig
    ps corsair 750tx
    cooler venomous x push pull
    hd.s 2xwd raptors in raido
    case cm. storm sniper

My Heatware

Since you said you have updated your BIOS (latest version being 0512) you should not have a problem with either CPU. I would check all BIOS settings carefully and if everything seems to be ok I would then inspect the Mobo carefully. Since you changed the CPU I would remove it and check for any bent pins, I would also re-seat your RAM and try that.
    Main System/File Server/IP-Fire Router
    CPU: I2500K @ 4.7Ghz (H2o cooled)//AMD Athlon 215 x2/Celeron 1.1Ghz
    Mainboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4/Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3/Gigabyte GA-C847N
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/12GB DDR3 1333Mhz//2GB DDR2
    Video: 2x nVidia GTX660 3GB sli/Radeon 3000//iGPU
    HDD: 256GB SSD (System)/WD VR 300GB(Games)/ 80GB HDD (TV Recordings)/WD VRaptor 160GB (Sytem), Maxtor 80GB (Sys Backup), 5x 1TB (RAID5 Data)/3TB (Backup) HighpointRR 3520 RAID Card/160GB
    PSU: Corsair TX-M 750W/Enermax 495W//FSP 300W
    Case: Coolermaster HAF932/CM Cosmos S/
    Audio: Toslink -> Pioneer VSX-820-K (Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master Audio)
    i7/i5/i3 Overclocking Guide/Intel Core2 overclocking guide/AMD AM2 overclocking Guide