• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway 2000 NS-9000, Pentium Pro, 5 core server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw a thread recently where someone was building a dual socket Pentium Pro machine. This made me want to break this out again and find out the performance of it. Getting Windows installed at the moment, so just waiting on that.

I really wonder... Most (all?) of the PPro overdrive and PowerLeap upgrades I think are limited to single processor upgrades. But they assume a normal 2 or 4 processor motherboard without "glue logic"

Since obviously this beast (which is f*cking awesome BTW) is using some hardcore custom glue logic for up to SIX processor. If by chance all those processors only think they're (ideally) by themselves, or maybe only in "dual" mode you might be able to upgrade more than you think.

It's a long shot, but lol it'd be great to see it running at "worst" 3 Pentium2 >333mhz or "ridiculous lucky" 6 of them. Assuming of course it would POST. But if it did... muahah

Yup. Been thinking of a way to try and overclock it more. Unfortunately, it seems that the company that made the crystals for the motherboard never made any faster than what I currently have. Once I get time (probably going to be a while), I was going to see if there was a way to design a circuit that would allow me to control the speed manually. I'm sure someone could come up with a design that simply takes the place of one of the crystal oscillators. If I can solve this problem, I'd be all for putting this under dry ice. The voltage regulators should be cake to modify, as well.

I have a pair of Voodoo 2 cards that I can put in it that I haven't even touched yet.

There was also some fun in this thread, which is a tad newer:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670383

thiddy, if you want you can find voodoo 5 5500 mac pci cards that can be flashed for pc usage. you just lose the ability of using the dvi port, you can also find voodoo 4 4000/4500 pci's as well. :)

If I can get the overclocking to work, I'll probably hit you up on that offer. If I try to run them at 266 MHz, it underclocks them to roughly 60 MHz; which is really confusing. I tried lowering the temperature with our South Dakota wind (<10c), upping the voltage with different regulators and running single chips (in case it wasn't stable).

not an offer but you can find them on ebay... been meaning to bios flash the mac voodoo 5 5500 i have sitting here with the 3 agp ones i have as well. two of the agp ones have 3d problems, the 3rd was never tested. which reminds me i need to get my Abit ST6/ celey 1.2ghz out of the garage...

I know this thread is old, but man that thing is BADASS still. Lol I don't care who you are.

Me and Corey were talking about servers in pm the other day so I found his thread and decided it needed a good ole fashion bump to the top:)

Too many good threads are hidden on here :D

Modz

You should trade it for a single core atom setup!

Oh crap this thread is old.

Grats on the greenyhood at least :)

I acquired this 113lb Gateway MONSTER today. This was a server made back in 1996-1997 and was a beast of a server, upgradable to 6 200mhz Pentium Pro's and able to take up to 4gb of RAM!! It also has a control panel on front (touch screen LCD!) where you can see temps, fan speeds, voltages and everything you could possibly imagine. Even CPU/HDD usage is included, no OS or software is needed!!

This server sold for over $13,000 USD when released. The amount of work and thought they put into it is extremely obvious, I hope to keep this thing for a long time.

Model: Gateway NS-9000
CPU: 5x 200mhz Pentium Pro - Socket 8 (upgradable to 6, just need the processor/VRM)
Mem: 1280mb assorted DIMM
Drives: 1.5" thick IBM unknown size (need to get a OS up)
PSU: 3 + 1 redundant, 350w each; 1050w for the system and one hot spare

Enough talking, these pictures make me drool....

gateway_server_left.jpg

gateway_server_front.jpg

gateway_server_right.jpg

gateway_server_pci.jpg

gateway_server_cpumem.jpg

Your eyes do not deceive you. Those are three riser cards, two card for 3x CPUs and 1 for a ton of memory!

Looks Awesome. I have a Pentium 200 PPRO processor, and a few 180s too if you are interested. I would love to have that server if it is ever for sale. I have a Pentium Pro 180 GW2K server that was functioning till the board blew. I also have 9 GW handbooks (486) and a G6-133.

I'm set on older hardware, thank you for the offer. I really doubt that I will be selling the server anytime soon.

OK, cool. If anyone has a old Pentium PRO GW-2k system i wouldn't mind finding another one. I had one but one of the chips blew on the MOBO.

Back