• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it my motherboard or my drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tophinater

So, I have a super awesome Foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H LGA 775 :)attn:) motherboard that has always given me trouble. Last night my computer fans were getting very loud and were starting to annoy me so I went into the BIOS to turn them down. I adjusted the speeds, hit F10 to save, and then the PC just shut down. The only way it would turn back on is if I reset the CMOS, which I did, several times. After I reset everything it would not let me save any changes because every time I tried to save it would just shut down again. So reset the CMOS again, and flashed the BIOS with the latest firmware from a CD (pain in the ***!). Now the thing will save my settings but it wont boot to windows or boot from a CD. Every time I try to boot to windows it either bluescreens giving me some BS about memory error, bad pool data, or register error, or says some file is corrupt or missing. :clap:

So, I try booting from a windows OS CD. Eventually it gets to the screen where it asks what you want to do and whether I select to repair windows or reinstall it, it either freezes or blue screens. Since I flashed the BIOS, the BIOS seems to work fine. But now when I try to do anything with that involves the hard drive it crashes. Is this still a motherboard issue or did I screw up my hard drive? I have a second drive I can try later tonight, but I'm tempted just to go out and spend $50 on a cheap mobo that will last me until January. My PSU rails are solid and steady and I've already tried using just one stick of RAM.

Worst part is, my new HD 4890 is being delivered today and now I cant even get my comp to boot. :cry:

Are you sure the power supply isn't failing you? You say the PSU rails are "solid and steady", how do you know that, exactly?

if it were me i would try a diff board, cause i never liked foxconn boards and always had trouble with them

All your ram timings and voltage the same?
If so, I would take the components out of the case and run diagnostics on the ram(memtest) and harddrive to eliminate those as being the culprits.

Back