• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coldest Single Stage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjh566

I built a single stage not too long ago, it hit -30c, i charged it with 404, I was wondering how cold a single stage can go with a decent sized heat load and how to do this.

as far as i know it depends a lot on the components you use and the gasses.

coldest i have seen are custom rotary builds in the -55 area.

-55 would be sweet, i got a rotary sitting in the garage I can use.. what gas should i use to reach those temps?

Not that simple.
It's a balance of load versus temperature, and even then, going deep into vacuum will in quick time destroy your compressor internally.

Althought My questions/statements seem noobish there is no need to dismiss. I do have Hvac field experience but this is different than say a rooftop unit, My experience Is lacking with this extreme low temperature area.

Say I wanted -55c with a 200watt-ish heat load, what refriderant would be best suited for this application?

In any situation like that, something that boils COLDER then -55C @ 1atm.
Say... R23. Or R170.
You truly do not ever want to run in sub 1atm conditions "0 psi" on the low side.

So the most practical way of getting "close" to this goal would be 410a?

R410a boils at -51.6C at 1atm.
So it would still need to be run into a vacuum.

R410a is also VERY hard to condense, a warm room will run you up past 300 psi.
That makes a very unhealthy system.

Back