• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to switch programs to a new system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This will not work with any programs (most) that have registry entries as they would not be 'installed' technically on the OS.

OK. So, I need a new BIOS chip or new mobo same make/model.

Any idea if a used mobo of this make/model would work, assuming nothing was wrong with it? I ask because these are easy to find, and a new one is not.

Thanks

The main hard drive has Win XP and various programs, but the mobo "may" be fried. So if I build a new system, how could I make use of the programs from this drive without re-installing them? They are proprietary programs for which there are no installation disks. I assume I'd have to re-install the OS, but how could I make use of these programs?

Would using a different disk for the OS and the current disk for the programs be possible? Thanks

Actually, I've had this work on a few games. I install my games on a different physical drive. I installed Windows 7 and a few games did work from my XP install. SCFA, Black & white 2, however I'm still testing other games... sure beats the 20 minute install...

I've never had many issues with swapping a windows install from one computer to another.
I had a clean install on a drive, registered and such, but I didn't want XP on it anymore, so I swapped the MOBO. All I had to do was re-activate windows. XP activation looks at a bunch of different hardware, if enough changes they require reactivation. Then I needed to swap that drive back to the original computer, and had no issue with doing that either.
Worst case is that it won't activate, which leaves you looking for the same MOBO still.

Worst case is that it won't activate, which leaves you looking for the same MOBO still.
Actually, no. Worst case scenario is Windows tries to update the drivers, fails and renders the drive unbootable. I've never been able to move it between motherboards, even direct replacements.

Assuming the hard drive and its data is intact, the only "worst case solution" is that you have to re-activate Windows. If that system is a pre-built (Gateway, Dell, etc), you will not need to re-do that as they use pre-activated installs.

I just went through this similar situation with both a pre-built system and a non pre-built. I bought a PQ5-E in the classies and moved my IP35-PRO to my moms old acer with a dead motherboard. My main rig transferred with zero issues (Vista Home Premium 64 OEM) but I did have to reactivate. The Acer system on the other hand (Vista Home Premium 32 OEM) required me to contact acer about activation so I just put 7 RC on it, The OEM OS on the acer was pre-activated but also was not the same as a regular OEM OS and gave me an Acer support number to call about Activation and not the microsoft number.

Back