• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSDs RAID 0 Degradation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

I have two Agility 60gb in RAID 0 with win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Ok while I'm writing this the computer seems as snappy as it was when I installed. However benchmarks shows a tremendous degradation on a RAID 0 setup. I have resorted to running AS-Clean and attempted GC manually as well, to no success. Perhaps I don't understand how to use GC properly, or it's not working for whatever reason. Both of my drives are confirmed FW 1.5. I have also let the machine sit at logon overnight for the past 3-4 nights to let the 1.5 FW do it's job.

Any help/input would be great, the only other option I have not tried is remaking the RAID and essentially reformatting.

Here is the current results

degradation.jpg

degradation2.jpg

Here is the original fresh install Win7 results.

original.jpg

Last edited:
I have been all over the OCZ forums and while GC is supposed to help clean it up, everyone that is running SSDs in RAID has problems in the long run. I have 3x Agilitys and I am gonna run them for a little while to see how bad they get, then try and see if GC can clean them up. I don't know how many days it will take me to much them up, but I will post when I find out. Still trying to decide which larger SSD to buy, I am switching to a single SSD for OS.

I have been all over the OCZ forums and while GC is supposed to help clean it up, everyone that is running SSDs in RAID has problems in the long run. I have 3x Agilitys and I am gonna run them for a little while to see how bad they get, then try and see if GC can clean them up. I don't know how many days it will take me to much them up, but I will post when I find out. Still trying to decide which larger SSD to buy, I am switching to a single SSD for OS.

Beside bench numbers is there any particular apps that you feel being slugglish?

Try leaving it in the bios overnight. Maybe you have the "S" states disabled in the bios so it wont actualyl run GC. I dont have a raid setup, but I know GC has been keeping my drive in tip top shape.

Not yet. I am not having problems, I am gonna much them up with data and try to compare speeds and load times for both OS and applications loaded on the SSD. I am just reading about the problems other people have had.

I have two Agility 60gb in RAID 0 with win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Ok while I'm writing this the computer seems as snappy as it was when I installed. However benchmarks shows a tremendous degradation on a RAID 0 setup. I have resorted to running AS-Clean and attempted GC manually as well, to no success. Perhaps I don't understand how to use GC properly, or it's not working for whatever reason. Both of my drives are confirmed FW 1.5. I have also let the machine sit at logon overnight for the past 3-4 nights to let the 1.5 FW do it's job.

Any help/input would be great, the only other option I have not tried is remaking the RAID and essentially reformatting.

Here is the current results

http://home.grandecom.net/~akirk/pics/degradation.jpg
http://home.grandecom.net/~akirk/pics/degradation2.jpg

Here is the original fresh install Win7 results.

http://home.grandecom.net/~akirk/pics/original.jpg

I would take this post over to OCZ forums and see if the community over there can help at all. from here, it looks like GC should be working... it's clearly not.

they only other thing i could say (as others have) i would leave the PC on the bios screen (vs the log on screen) overnight to see if that helps at all.

the amount of free space you have does play a bit of a role as well. im heading out for lunch but i do have SS from first install to a run i did last month or so, i can do another. i really havent lost hardly that much in xfer rates for the array.

Yea I'm thinking it has to do with GC, i have not tried the bios screen overnight... so I guess I'll give that a shot. But for now I'm gonna be switching to a 120gb Vertex Turbo for the OS, the wife saw the speed and decided she wanted an SSD, so I'm breaking the Agility's up and giving her one of them... the other agility will go in my laptop :p

prime what is the current FW on your agility's? mine both have 1.3FW, gonna update when i need to reinstall in windows. kinda scared about losing the array...

Doing a little OC'ing last night and had a failure. No big deal, I just reset to try again. Problem is when the BIOS reset to default, it reset all settings, including changing the drives to IDE instead of RAID. Set it back to RAID, rebooted and got NTLDR failure. Had to change it back to IDE, then back to RAID and do a few more resets and I got it to load, but now it is taking almost 13 seconds from when I first see Windows 7 logo to desktop. It used to be around 7 seconds. My ATTO results are still high, so I don't know what the issue is.

My FW is 1.5, I did not upgrade them, they both came this way. @ChinStrap I already broke em up, to be fair, the raid never felt sluggish at all, games/OS/everything loaded very quickly on the RAID setup, and I may end up goin back to them depending on how this new drive does. I'm beginning to think that the degradation isn't gonna effect a RAID nearly as much as it would a single drive. Hopefully they'll release some drivers for TRIM on raids soon, that will be the real key to the enthusiasts.

This is my new setup, OCZ Vertex Turbo 120gb

Advertised Specs are 270 read and 200 write... looks purty good to me so far.

vertexturbo1.jpg

Back