• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lsass.exe error while attempting repair installation..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dabba

So my version of windows XP had a few issues (some sort of rundll error) so i decided to do a repair installation. Long story short, after booting off the cd and then booting off the HDD to do the repair installation, i had to reset the computer. Now, whenever it boots to continue setup, i get some sort of quick error box about lsass.exe then it resets quickly. (only pops up for a millisecond before rebooting on its own). I really dont want to whipe it and do a clean install, i already have a ghost imagine and i dont want to loose the info. Trying to boot from the cd has no effect, windows installation wont work in safe mode and it just reboots from there so i havnt even bothered.

Do i have any options here? I was thinking about installing a fresh windows on the same drive in a different directory so i could boot, but i have no idea how to fix the error from there nor get back to my original windows and deleting the new "lifeboat" version. If worse comes to worse i think my stepdads got something to take an internal HDD and connect it to another computer via a USB so i may be able to access my files that way, but i'd really rather just repair what i have. Anything guys? And its not the virus, think i corrupted something on that reset, stupid me.:bang head

Hmm the first two possiblities that come to my mind are 1) a virus 2) bad RAM.

It's always good to know whether or not your RAM is stable, so I'd first start off with running the bootable memtest86+ overnight and seeing if you get any errors.

If your RAM checks out, then perhaps you should back your stuff up and do a clean install.

How would i use it if i cant boot the pc? Not even safe mode works :-\ Its possible but i think i just corrupted something when i reset it. How would i get memtest to work?

How would i use it if i cant boot the pc? Not even safe mode works :-\ Its possible but i think i just corrupted something when i reset it. How would i get memtest to work?

Err, you boot from a CD... the same way you booted from the Windows install disk. Even though your windows install is hosed, you may by all means boot from any other medium.

Err, you boot from a CD... the same way you booted from the Windows install disk. Even though your windows install is hosed, you may by all means boot from any other medium.

yeah, im at work so i cant really look but i assume theres a version of memtest i can download and burn to a disc?

and if my memory checks out, what are my other options?

hold on, im an idiot, if i have a ghost image and i boot it from cd and run the image to restore, will that fix any boot errors or no?

You cannot boot from an image of your OS that I know of.

Memtest is put on a bootable disk and run that.

Last edited:
no i mean will the restore fix any damage to the boot files or do i need a fresh install?

It should, yes. But you cannot run a copy of an installed OS and repair. You run the repair from the Windows Disk, not a ghost image of your OS.

Do you mean repair which is the R option or a repair installation? i tried the repair installtion, after it boots from the discs, it installs what it needs and reboots from the hdd to continue, and thats when the error occurs. My ghost image is on another partition on the same drive. So could i know i can boot norton ghost of a disc and run the restore, but will this fix the boot files or only a clean format and install? Sorry im not sure if i understood what you said in the last reply or you understood me :-/. Thanks

So my version of windows XP had a few issues (some sort of rundll error) so i decided to do a repair installation. Long story short, after booting off the cd and then booting off the HDD to do the repair installation, i had to reset the computer. Now, whenever it boots to continue setup, i get some sort of quick error box about lsass.exe then it resets quickly. (only pops up for a millisecond before rebooting on its own). I really dont want to whipe it and do a clean install, i already have a ghost imagine and i dont want to loose the info. Trying to boot from the cd has no effect, windows installation wont work in safe mode and it just reboots from there so i havnt even bothered.

Do i have any options here? I was thinking about installing a fresh windows on the same drive in a different directory so i could boot, but i have no idea how to fix the error from there nor get back to my original windows and deleting the new "lifeboat" version. If worse comes to worse i think my stepdads got something to take an internal HDD and connect it to another computer via a USB so i may be able to access my files that way, but i'd really rather just repair what i have. Anything guys? And its not the virus, think i corrupted something on that reset, stupid me.:bang head

The reboot sounds like when my processor OC was real unstable. That can occur because the stepping sucks and you're at a wall or not enough Vcore.

well she wasnt connected to the internet and it just happened to happen after i hit the reset button, so im ruling out a virus and i think i corrupted something but i could be wrong. i think i may go ahead and resore it unless that wont fix a corrupted boot error?

Back