• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 1090t 4ghz funbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupgrade time! brand new ASUS ROG MATRIX 5870 2GB GDDR5 just went into the system.

My only issue is my once super stable 4ghz OC, is no longer stable. I thought it was drivers at first due to team red's rep, so I spent a day doing the driver shuffle. I then checked my Windows install which is good.

After doing that I decided to save my OC profile and try everything on default, Voila! it worked perfectly. I guess this means I have to build a new stable overclock from scratch. Have there been any developments made in figuring out how to compensate for the large Vdroop on the Asus CHIV Mobo?

Also, could anyone point me in the direction of a good ram overclocking/timing guide? I'm still not sure I understand it.

There is a recent BIOS update available that's supposed to resolve the LLC problems so it will work correctly. You might want to give it a try. ;)

If you find a good RAM OC'ing guide let me know. As far as I"ve been able to tell it's all experimentation. If you search there are a couple of threads in the memory section that explain what the various timings are but other than that you're on your own ... :-/

Check over at the ASUS Beta bios page (see sig) and you should find it pretty quickly.

Remember, abuse on hardware may cause it to not function at the same speed forever.

Could someone recommend me 4 to 8 gigs (4 2gb sticks works) of the best ram I can get for overclocking? My Corsair is just not stable over 4ghz even when I only use my multi to up CPU speed. I had to underclock it to 1067 to get the system to maintain 4.1 ghz. I don't need to run cas 7 at 2000, but it would be nice and I totally wouldn't complain.

Thanks!

I can't comment on DDR3 but with DDR and DDR2 I've never had good Corsair RAM fail me. 1600C9 is not what I would call the best or even second best - but I have odd ideas about RAM. To me DDR3-1333C6 (or C7) is better than DDR3-1600C9. Like I said, I have odd ideas about RAM - I prefer slower and tight to fast and loose ... ;)

A good pair of DDR3-1600C7 would be fine. Running faster than 1600 isn't going to show up in anything except maybe a RAM benchmark and with the cpuNB speed you're running it may not even show up there ...

stable @ 4.2 ghz 30c max temp

So, this weekend all my new toys came in. EK supreme LT Waterblock, Magiccool 1080 EXTREME Rad. 8 ft. of UV reactive red tubing. A Swift-tech MCP655-b and a 150 cylinder res.

I had my overclock stable at 4.1 ghz, but my temps were to high:
41ghzstabletoohot.jpg

That was before my new Water cooling equipment came in. Now my current Max seems to be about 4.2 ghz @ 30 c with Ambient around 18c. Those temps are @ load for over an hour:
2010101142ghz31cstable1.jpg

At this point I tried for 4.3 but was just unable to make it happen.

Here are my results of 6+ hours of prime95:
2010101142ghz31cstable6.jpg

Right now I'm just trying to tighten everything up, adjusting RAM timings and OCing my Video card as well.

I would like to note all of these tests were conducted with the cooling fan on low. A quick test at about 3 hours in Prime95 of turning the fan up resulted in a 3 degree drop. Since it was like 4 am though the fan did end up back on low.

Nice work! (Jealous!) :) So it seems the CooIT C120 performs pretty well!? Better than the H70 any way! :)

Nice work! (Jealous!) :) So it seems the CooIT C120 performs pretty well!? Better than the H70 any way! :)

I REALLY liked the coolIT C120. It is going to have a home in my wifes new pc when we build it. The only issue I had was from removal, the tubing is very stiff and cause my processor to shoot out of the socket into the ram and bend pins. I spent about 4 hours with a magnifying glass and a needle fixing that. Other than that I was very impressed, I was able to attain a 4ghz OC at 50c max temp with it.

Very impressive load temps! Nice OC, too.
Well done on fixing the pins as well, that's quite the operation these days.

I too would raise the cpuNB, that might give you 4.3 too, hard to say.

Just had a quick read through this thread as I have the same mobo and CPU.

I have just been using the auto overclock feature to work at 3.7/4.1 turbo, but am keen to push it a bit further!

I have Corsair XMS3 1600 8/8/8/24 RAM.

I will try the Beta BIOS, but what other settings/stuff to turn off do?

Do you have a BIOS settings file you could upload, so I can tinker with your settings?

Also I notice your CPU temp is high, and you are using the core temps for your measurement. I have read several conflicting arguments over this - aparently AMD rely on the tCase temp which is the CPU temp - so if thats your CPU temp, it's a bit high. I am really unsure who to believe on what is the temp to keep under 62c!

The temp you need to keep under 62°C to avoid thermal throttling from the motherboard is the "CPU" temp, which is really the CPU socket temp.

AMD provides an internal temp monitor (core temp) and also provides CPU heat protection. That circuitry uses the internal (on-die) temp that CoreTemp and other programs monitor. The max temp for the on-die system is called "Tctl" by AMD and it's what CoreTemp will show as Tjmax.

But all that thermal protection stuff isn't why we advise people to keep their core temp at 55°C or less. Most high-end overclocks become unstable somewhere around a 55°C load core temp (±5°C depending on the CPU). To avoid instability from heat it's best to keep your CPU cooler than that ... :)

Thats what I aim for 55c. My CPU usually gets to about that at max load, with the gpu at max load too:

Desktop%20-%20Stability%20Test.png

I found that my system was unstable when I hit about 57c it pretty much guaranteed a BSOD or a crash of some sort. I haven't tried for 4.3 again yet. Right now I'm running 1333 mhz cas 9 on my ram, thats just for stability though. Once I hit my final OC stable I'll start fighting with RAM timings. I was able to run P95 for about 12 hrs stable with no crashing or BSOD's at 4.2.

What is the max "safe" voltage for this chip? I seem to recall 1.5v being the final number, at 4.3 i get irql less than or equal to BSOD's at 4.3 which is voltage to low right?

PICS!

watercooling010.jpg

watercooling014.jpg

watercooling022.jpg

watercooling029.jpg

Back