• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinRar help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BradTN

Ok so I have a SSD hd ok its my main OS drive all games and stuff is stored on externals or media storaged internals.

So I had winrar x64 installed on my main ssd ok. I have all my downloads and stuff going to other drives and when i use winrar I always usually extract to the same drive i downloaded it to. but something odd has been happening

So lets say i download an archive to D drive ok
I go to D drive i right click on the file extract here
All is normal so far it extracts as it always has but now when extract finishes...
It goes into this.. moving R$3474 or w/e to the D drive like a whole seperate extract again I dont get it?

So I thought oo maybe the winrar temp files are going somewhere weird so i made sure temp files go to one of my externals and i even made it go to the same one where the download IS and it still does it?

I forgot to clarify that second extract is a windows thing it's like when ur moving a file in windows

Ok il def try that Redduc900 do i need to change anythign within it for temp files etc? dont wanna be doing anything to my SSD

FreeArc also works good, but just be aware of the following before installing it...

Compared to RAR and 7-zip, FreeArc at this moment lacks the following: multi-volume archives, 64-bit version, storing of file attributes/extended timestamps/NTFS streams in the archive, bcj2, data segmentation. These are planned to be fixed in subsequent versions.

... and it uses 7-Zip technology for the Browse and Extract Archives routines.

I don't have a 64bit cpu but when I tested my winrar'd folder of ebooks against freearc I discovered it had better compression than winrar. I saved approximately 30gb's of space between having them in rar and switching to arc!. The more ram you have the better with freearc and it analyzes the files before it compresses them which neither 7zip nor winrar does. If you use the 067 alpha build it adds the ability to compress to zip or 7zip and 7zip allows for splitting. So far it has done everything I needed that winrar ever did. It uses gtk themes, has a portable version and allows you to use any compressor algorithm you like. It has a power pack for those who know what to do with it. I don't.
With rar you can search within the archive and with arc you cannot. Did I mention it's free for ANY use.
BTW rar is at v4 http://rarlab.com/rarnew.htm
I'm sure you could use a 32bit compressor with a 64 bit cpu or am I wrong?
As for 7zip, the gui is stuck in 1998 and lacks features that both winrar and freearc have natively. 7zip is a compressor that anyone can use and is not really an archiver as such. Winrar tries to be all that but simply fails miserably and they want money. So yeah, freearc is better than both winrar and 7zip put together.
http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=31386&start=0&limit=1&m=1#1
It's in russian so you will have to scroll over the titles to see what you are grabbing.
Freearc has a gui version for linux which both winrar and 7zip lack (only command line). But for those running linux there may be better choices, I'm sure.
So yeah, freearc is better than both winrar and 7zip put together.

Last edited:
After comparing freearc alpha 0.6.7 32bit (11/17/10) against the latest 7zip 32bit 9.20 with a 228mb folder of misc ebooks, freearc stands head and shoulders above 7zip.
7zip in Ultra setting, and no other tweaks, took 4:27 to compress to a 68.8mb file. If I use the normal setting I get a little better speed but a much larger file (3:53/98.2mb).

Freearc in Ultra, and no other tweaks, took only 1:56 with a 68.7mb file output with 45s for extraction of same.
Freearc analyzes the folder first and even with it's Best Asymmetric setting, compresses down to 68.4MB but then takes 3:07 which is still way better than 7zip and I know 7zip has better compression than rar though I have not actually tested the latest 4.0 version.
I bet with a quad core cpu, faster fsb and much more, much faster memory, I could get even better speeds. I really wonder how the 64bit version of 7zip compares to the 32 bit one of frearc but I don't have the hardware to test it. Plus freearc can take an entire selection of folders, compress each one to it's own file like winrar, & then delete the folders when it's done. 7zip still can't do that. It would be neat to have a box dedicated just for large amounts of data compression.
If anyone here has the inclination to test freearc on their 64bit OS quad core or better with a highly compressible folder like ebooks are, I'd love to hear some results. I have no idea if using a 32bit compressor like freearc is even possible with a 64bit OS. If I had had the money I'd be running 64bit right now and wouldn't need to ask, though I'm pretty sure it can.

Last edited:
i used winrar for many years, and switched to 7zip not to long ago. they both operates the same when extracting files so saying winrar sucks is not a real answer to the program.also the problem sounds a bit weird. if i was to guess it sounds like the ssd drive might be bad if its writing gibberish looking files like that. looks more like a corrupted file written to the ssd. i cant imagine winrar being at fault in this case, but i cant be certain.

Back