• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I have an ATi 4870 and only play World of Warcraft. Would I be better off spending $85 to run them in SLI, or buying a new card altogether? If so, price is a factor. Please let me know what video cards are the best bang for my buck, or if I'll get similar performance by running two 4870's in SLI

Thanks

What are you willing to spend? A 1GB GTX460 would make for a nice upgrade, will run very cool and almost silent, has dx11, and is ~25% faster.

If you only play WoW the how the 4870 should be enough. I believe WoW is more CPU dependant, you would probably see more performance if you OC that Wolfdale up to around 4ghz with a better Heatsink/fan. That E8400 will reach 3.8 without a voltage increase :)

Last edited:
What are you willing to spend? A 1GB GTX460 would make for a nice upgrade, will run very cool and almost silent, has dx11, and is ~25% faster.
Do you mean this card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130562

If you only play WoW the how the 4870 should be enough. I believe WoW is more CPU dependant, you would probably see more performance if you OC that Wolfdale up to around 4ghz with a better Heatsink/fan. That E8400 will reach 3.8 without a voltage increase :)

I'm actually running it at 3.75 and didnt know that I had'nt put it in my sig. My concerns is that, with the new expansion coming out next week, that its going to demand more resources. Do you think my current setup is ok for the expansion? Right now I'm getting 60 FPS during intensive fights with most video setting set to max detail in 1920x1200 resolution.

i believe as of patch 4 the graphics has been already updated

What's in The Shattering
Hearthstone set to Dalaran? Better change that -- Dalaran and Shattrath portals will be removed once the patch hits.
In place of the handy portals in Dalaran, you'll find a series of equally handy class trainers.
The new race/class combinations will be playable, with the exception of goblins and worgen.
If you're wondering why we spent all that time taking back Echo Isles and Gnomeregan, you'll be able to see the fruits of your labors in 4.0.3a, where both the trolls and the gnomes have their brand new starting zones.
Speaking of zone changes, all level 1 to 60 zones will be forever changed, and as a result, all zones will have fully playable content.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/11/05/roadmap-to-cataclysm-zone-overhauls/

click the link to check out the most overhauled zones,

imo your system is perfect the way it is for WoW

Back