• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 64bit and SSD Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaVoK C89

Hopefully I put this in the right place lol. I've been hearing so much of how putting your OS on an SSD is so much better. What I was wondering is how big of an SSD you would need to manage it? I'm not sure how big it is myself lol.

If you want just your OS on there, you would need at least a 30 GB SSD. Some people like to have their must used apps on the drive as well which would require a larger drive obviously...

I would need to recheck but I think my 7x64 install was sub 20gb if even that high.

I did tweak the hell out of the install though. Ill try to check tonight in between everything else that Im trying to dig out from.

Ah ok cool deal. Let me know!! :)

The initial install can be as large as 20 gigs , it was on my ultimate edition .. BUT that included a 6 gig hibernate file which i deleted making the install 14gigs

yes also, you have the page file which is just as large as the amount of ram.... i recommend turning that down to about 2gb instead of the 4+ your likely to have, specially on a SSD where space counts.

also, turn off system restore (space saving), and windows search (disk overhead saving), as well as turning off hibernate (who uses that anyways... S3 sleep is so much better)

You can also go to the extreme, and strip down windows with vlite, or RT7lite.... i used vlite a while back for a win 7 pro install on my netbook. fully updated, office 2010, firefox, aim, full java update 23 SKD w/ various editors... using 5.5gb. (i only have 7.5gb to play with on my dell mini 9's ssd)

BUT, for a desktop or big laptop with 30gb of space or more its worth it to have a full win 7 install.... to get down that small you end up breaking some stuff, and its annoying sometimes.

Just checked the one rig..

15.2 of 37gb free.

That is with a full install of OOO, 2 installs of Eve, and other programs.

Personally, a 40gb is the smallest I would use and even then, it gets a bit challenging. If you can, get either a larger drive or if you want to take the chance, buy 2 small and RAID 0.

I am a bigger fan of single drive OR mirrored drives for OS and programs. Then again, I am also lazy and dont like rebuilds.

Check ssd deal ,,, they had a 128g kingston ssd for 129.00 after rebate ..But personally I would not install any ssd under 60 or 64 g .....

Back