• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Motherboard Frozen Tiled Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kidunot

Hello,
I recently had to replace my motherboard in my pc. I was one I put together myself back in 2006. Upon putting everything together it seemed to run just fine, but after about ten minutes, the pc froze gave me a tiled screen made of a small strip of whatever image is on the screen. I then reboot my computer only for it to do again. I had googled for any clues on why this was happening, then read that whenever a new motherboard is installed you have to do a fresh install of windows so the old motherboard drivers don't conflict with the new ones. That isn't really an option for me since a lot of my software is and was school loaned and I can't quite get it back, like Cinema 4D. I search for was around it and found a few. I have done all of them except using the repair feature on the Windows CD because the pc freezes every time it gets close to the end of the installing devices part. The has cause me to believe that it is a hardware problem and not a conflict within the OS. My PC specs are

Mobo: ECS GeForce6100PM-M2 AM2/AM2+ Socket
CPU: Athlon X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0GHz
RAM: Crucial DDR2 800MHz 1GBx2=2GB
PSU: DiabloTek DA series 600W ATX running at 115V
HDD: Western Digital 160GB SATA - Main
Western Digital 500GB IDE - Secondary
CD/DVD: ATAPI iHAS124 A

Everything is from when I first built except for the PSU, Mobo, and Secondary HDD. I just got PSU and Mobo, and i got the second HDD a year after I made it. My old Mobo and PSU was a BioStar TForce1600 AM2 and LogiSys 550W. I change my PSU because I believed it was the original reason my PC stopped operating to begin with.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong? I really need this PC for school because I can't compile programs or do much else on my netbook.

AT boot...

while booting try F8 to choose safe mode boot into windows and remove the video card drivers and then reboot and you should boot with generic M$ PCI video drivers and then you can install the ones for the video now in use. Might work...

I'm afraid you don't have much choice but to reinstall the OS. You might try booting into "Safe" mode by holding down the F8 key as the machine starts up after a reboot but Safe mode bypasses all the protected mode accelerated drivers and the machine will be very slow. Neither will it allow you to install new drivers if you are in Safe mode.

Do you still have the old mobo and is it good?

while booting try F8 to choose safe mode boot into windows and remove the video card drivers and then reboot and you should boot with generic M$ PCI video drivers and then you can install the ones for the video now in use. Might work...

I think there is more to it than just video drivers. There are the other chipset drivers as well and maybe other things about the board that Windows initializes to upon install. I could be wrong. Wouldn't hurt to try that, though.

I already did that, and when im in safe mode it doesnt freeze it just random reboots. Someone just recently mentioned heatsink paste to me, what is it and could it be the problem? I made sure to thoroughly clean the heatsink fan last night.

Heatsink paste is what goes between the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the processor. The good stuff contains tiny metal particles, usually aluminum, suspended in some kind of liquid. It is a relatively good conductor of heat. It fills in the tiny air gaps between the two surfaces. Without it there will not be good transfer of heat between the CPU and the heatsink and your CPU will overheat. Go to some computer store or to Radio Shack and pick up a small tube of either Arctive Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX3. They are relative inexpensive (about $5 for a 3 gm tube) but excellent products.

It must be applied correctly to get maximum heat conductivity. First, remove the old paste from the CPU and the heatsink and clean both surfaces with a little rubbing alcohol. In my opinion, the common coffee filter works great for this because it doesn't leave behind insulating fibers like cotton balls or kleenex or soft cloth.

Once the surfaces are clean, put a small blob (about the size of a BB) of thermal paste in t he center of the CPU face. Lower the heatsink onto the CPU, being careful to center it the best you can. Then twist it back and forth once about 20 degrees each direction. Then clamp the sink down.

This may not be part of your problem but its a good investment anyway.

Last edited:
Well I doubt it's windows... I'm on my 4th motherboard with the same win7 install just make 100% sure you don't have any old drivers installed or old grafics software or mobi software utilities that run in the back ground if not idk try the tim on the onboard chip

I've made sure using a procedure I found online using the command prompt to show all the installed drivers in the device manager. The ones begin used and the ones just standing there. Then I systemically delete all the old drivers from the old mobo. From GFXs to Sound. I had already uninstalled the nVidia drivers from the add and remove programs control as well.

I put the thermal paste on 15 minutes ago and started up the repair process on my pc and it still froze before finishing the installing devices process. Is there a wait time on how long it take to set in?

nah not really idk i would rma the board sounds like a mobo issue

i think i found the problem im currently testing the theory but it is proving right so far. i'm pretty sure i have a bad ram stick.

yea, it was but the PC originally broke down months ago, plus without the stick that I think is bad I have managed to finally finish the repair process and the PC has yet to freeze since.

Back