• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended UPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Read it again, and quoted it again for your own clarity of what you wrote.

Next time I want to buy a UPS, I don’t know what I will do now that I cannot trust APC any more. APC just lost a loyal customer.

I did not write that. it is a cut and paste from a newegg review. I said 'should this newegg review concern me' then cut and pasted it. thought it was obvious

You may also wish to consider using the
Some OC Forum Guy said:
Quote tag
next time.

I know that this is overkill for what the OP needs, but I've found these units to be absolutely bullet proof. I've had one unit in continuous service for 12 years now, and only needed to replace the batteries last year. When you amortize your cost per year, the additional investment pays some dividends over time.

Deleted a bunch of stuff since I just realized what your real issue is. You're having really bad surges coming down your lines and blowing **** up. So what you need is a surge protector before the UPS. UPS usually has surge protection built in, but its generally pretty weak. APC's manual says not to plug it into a surge protector, but that is because of the extra length of cord for the surge protector, people generally use the cheapest surge protectors they can buy (smaller gauge wire), and chances are people are going to be plugging other stuff into that same surge protector where the power isn't evenly distributed. Once the MOVs go in a cheap surge protector, then its just a power strip.

I looked up the simple 550VA APC UPS and it only has a 365 J surge protection on it. My Tripp Lite double conversion online UPS only has 570 J (not much at all). If you're having heavy surges/lightening then no wonder the APC units are blowing up.

From my limited search there seems to be a couple really good surge protectors/suppressors that you might want to take a look at. SurgeX XF2 1 left at amazon onsale for $213 and Brickwall 2 outlet Surge protector for $189. Pretty much stop surges dead in their tracks. Even though they both have two outlets, you would only plug the UPS into it. APC voids warranty for plugging their UPS into a surge protector or surge protector into their UPS. This is mainly to cover their butts since people will do all sorts of dumb things when it comes to electricity. I think they both have a limit of 8A so 960 watts max.

For clean power I'd suggest a double conversion online UPS. Might want to do a quick read of UPS Wiki Info and pcguide UPS Info. I got a Tripp Lite su1000xla used off ebay for $200 shipped sometime ago. Normally they go for about $400 and so do the other online UPS, so you're best bet is trying to find a good used one then changing the battery out if its bad. Of course now you're looking at large sums of money, so just stick with your APCs. My Tripp Lite UPS only has a rated 570 J, which is fairly low when you compare it to surge protectors.

Last edited:
To chime in, I just experienced what I think is the "maxxing out" of my APC UPS ES 750. You can see in my system in my sig, but what I don't have added yet is that i'm overclocking to 4ghz and SLI'ing two 470s. Today while running Heaven benchmark, the APC unit started chirping at me. Not a consistent sound, kinda twitchy. Guessing it was nearing the capacity?

I took it out of play and have a higher end Belkin surge protector strip in place of it. No issues now, but what size APC should I look at as a replacement for my 750 (only 2years old :( )? Assuming the 1500 models noted in this thread?

Last edited:
I have an 1100 watt so called gamer UPS on my system and the software is so buggy that I just depend on the 2 surge protectors ahead of it. I do like the way the PSU manages the voltage though ahead of the Computers. I stopped using the software a couple years ago and I have been good to go since then. a good clean current is more important to me on a day to day basis. I'll shut everything down if I think things are getting bad enough.

Back