• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaking Windows 7 on lower end machine for more power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mobkon

Registered
Hey guys. Recently upgraded a few components in my computer to make it a lower end gaming machine and just installed a fresh version of Windows 7. Heres the current specs:

AMD Athlon Brisbane X2 6000+ 3.1GHz Dual Core
NVidia 9800GT 1GB GPU
430W Thermaltake PSU
2GB Kingston DDR2 PC2-5300 Ram
Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA HDD

I know some of the components are low. But I can't go above 2GB of ram in my system and I'm fine for now with the 80GB HDD since I have externals as well to store most of my stuff.

I want to run games on this system and when running some benchmarks, I noticed the score dropped a little bit opposed to when I ran them on XP. Now I know Windows 7 takes up more ram and overall power bandwidth, but I was looking for some tweaks so I can get my benchmark scores a little higher. I think I've disabled Aero (I selected Win 7 Basic Theme instead) and that boosted my scores very slightly. Are there any other tweaks I can do to give me more power?

Thanks!

Turning off Aero will free up a lot of RAM. (Up to 200MB in some cases)

I dropped 7 ultimate on my friend's dad's computer (Celeron at 3.8GHz with 768MB of RAM and an 8800GT (bought it for Aero support) and it runs pretty well with everything on, but if he were to game, i'd suggest turning Aero off, making sure that absolutely everything that he didn't need was closed, and just running the game. Not much i know of to speed 7 up.

In the real world, that small difference you're seeing in scores probably won't affect the games any. In my opinion, the user experience you get from Aero is well worth the couple of points it takes from benchmarks scores.

Back