• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 install stalls at Starting Windows splash screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SubPar

For fathers day this year i managed to upgrade my aging i7 3770 computer to some decent mid-range components, namely Ryzen 5 5600 and a b450 tomahawk max 2 and some 3600 corsair memory, which is awesome! but i cant get windows 7 to get past the "starting Windows" splash screen. I've tried multiple drives(ssd and spinner), different ram(1 and 2 sticks), just the dvd drive and hard drive connected. Im banging my head off the wall cause now i just have an expensive paperweight :D I'm usually quite adept at installing windows but im not sure whats happening to me. must be getting older :D Im only trying to install win7 so i can update to win10. i know 7 is eol.
Any insight would be greatly apppreciated.

Try booting in safe mode first, then reboot like normal. Sounds like a similar issue when you would create a win7 image for deployment. After the image was sysprepped, and then installed this boot loop would happen. After booting into safe mode, for whatever reason it would correct itself and then subsequent boot would be normal and launch OOBE

I'm seeing a possible "forward compatibility" issue, namely that the Ryzen 5 5600 didn't exist in the Windows 7 world. If the CPU was an AM3 or comparable the W7 installer would have zipped through to completion happily.

For fathers day this year i managed to upgrade my aging i7 3770 computer to some decent mid-range components, namely Ryzen 5 5600 and a b450 tomahawk max 2 and some 3600 corsair memory, which is awesome! but i cant get windows 7 to get past the "starting Windows" splash screen. I've tried multiple drives(ssd and spinner), different ram(1 and 2 sticks), just the dvd drive and hard drive connected. Im banging my head off the wall cause now i just have an expensive paperweight :D I'm usually quite adept at installing windows but im not sure whats happening to me. must be getting older :D Im only trying to install win7 so i can update to win10. i know 7 is eol.
Any insight would be greatly apppreciated.
This may sound like it's not connected but check the voltage on your ram, I assume your using DDR4 so if the ram is set for 1.2V or 1.35V in BIOS/UFEI, bump it up by 0.03V. I've had 1 system years ago that was unstable and could not get pasted the install, turned out the ram voltage was reading 1.46V in BIOS, I bumped it to 1.53V so that it would read 1.5V, and it was stable after that. If that don't fix it, get a grenade and drop it in the case and run :rofl:

Try it on a working PC, set the ram voltage to .03V less than what the ram needs and see what happens :)

Last edited:
Let's take a step back, it's most likely a sata driver issue, new board goes to load old drivers, crash.

Solution? reinstall windows or use fix-ide from another computer to wipe the drivers on the current windows 7 installation.

Let's take a step back, it's most likely a sata driver issue, new board goes to load old drivers, crash.

Solution? reinstall windows or use fix-ide from another computer to wipe the drivers on the current windows 7 installation.
I believe he is installing Win 7, so I'm guessing the Win 7 install disk has old drivers if this is the case.

AH, couldn't tell the context from OP myself. Sounds like it's time to uhh get with the times and install something that's made to support the hardware.

if OP really wants to make 7 work you can add custom drivers into the install disk, extract the drivers from the installers for the motherboard then add them into the installation media.

I may be wrong, but if it was able to install, then it has a working driver. It's the OOBE part where it's crashing. Does it give an error message or just reboot in a neverending loop?

Im only trying to install win7 so i can update to win10. i know 7 is eol.
Don't worry guys I skimmed over this twice. lol.

It seems OP is having issues installing windows 7.

Witch brings us to post #6, lets get the possible ram issue out of the way and work from there :) Remember this is new MB, CPU and ram.

Thanks everyone, i will try the RAM voltage bump when i get a few min later tonight Whitehawk! The only reason i am trying win7 is cause i have it, didnt want to spend anymore money on an oem win10 but if the ram bump doesnt work im thinking thats the way to go. Also i have tried to create win10 bootable usb and the creation tool just pops errors and wont work for me. Ive got 3 different computers to try and none of them were able to get it to work.

You may have an idea on what to do but here is some pics to show you.

Ram voltage setting at 1.50V (Auto or Manual)
memvoltage1.jpg

Ram voltage reading low
memvoltage2.jpg

I may be wrong, but if it was able to install, then it has a working driver. It's the OOBE part where it's crashing. Does it give an error message or just reboot in a neverending loop?
No error message or boot loop, it just stops with the windows colors moving around, displays windows starting and just stays like that, not frozen just not doing anything else :shrug:

If booting into safe mode doesn't work...(I'd bet more a driver/compatibility thing since it's hanging while windows is loading - No need to change voltages/troubleshoot parts, etc. (yet), IMO.)..........

Try harder to get W10+ on there.

I know you don't want to buy it, but there are plenty of sites out there (Kinguin to name one) where you can get a legit copy for like $20. Just be ready to use the key for install ASAP (volume licenses) and be sure your BIOS is updated on the mobo before jumping into it.

Try different USB sticks if you're erroring out trying to create the W10 install media. Make sure it's formatted as they want it and bigger than, I believe, the 4GB minimum.

EDIT: So after taking a look...that board only supports the 5000 series CPU if you have BIOS 7C02v1H (according to CPU compatibility list). However, the latest BIOS on the BIOS page is 7C02v1E. In order to get the BIOS, you can DL it from the CPU compatibility list (on the right is a link to DL). Please confirm what BIOS version you have and if you aren't at the 1H that supports your processor, make it happen and try your install again....regardless, make a better effort to install W10 and skip all this W7 nonsense. :)

Last edited:
Try different USB sticks if you're erroring out trying to create the W10 install media. Make sure it's formatted as they want it and bigger than, I believe, the 4GB minimum.
As ED mentioned, #1try different install media, #2 consider going with (at least Win 10). Other thoughts: software can be 'backwards compatible' with older hardware, but not likely to be 'forwards compatible' with hardware that didn't exist when the software was actively maintained.

Does your motherboard support 3600MHz RAM? Have you tried setting the RAM to 2133MH in the BIOS?

The motherboard should run with Windows 7 since there are drivers for it at the website. The website also says the Microsoft Win7 Hotfix installation is required for AMD Chipset Driver to be installed successfully.

You can still use the Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10. I have done it on a couple computers.

Back