• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Output Audio from HDMI Ouput?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superflychris

Registered
Hey guys, a quick question... I have my pc hooked up to my TV, is it possible to output audio from the HDMI out on my graphics card? The spec of my system is in my signature.

Ok, so I had a read through the manual for the Radeon 5770 and all it says is that the HDMI port outputs audio and video. Could someone let me know how to enable the audio output over HDMI?

Or is it perhaps the input on the TV?

Sorry for the noob questions!

Ok, so I had a read through the manual for the Radeon 5770 and all it says is that the HDMI port outputs audio and video. Could someone let me know how to enable the audio output over HDMI?

Or is it perhaps the input on the TV?

Sorry for the noob questions!

Take a look in your device manager, for example NVIDIA installs audio drivers for me... I normally use my xfi card but you can see the nvidia sound drivers for hdmi there also.

Attachments

• sound.PNG
    sound.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 269
It should just work. Go to you audio properties in the control panel or wherever and make sure HDMI is set as default.

ok heres how you set your audio to the HDMi

make sure you hhave the hdmi cable in the card and in the tv

right click on the speaker button on your start bar

click playback devices

right clicik on your tv in my case SAMSUNG-1 and select Set as default playback device

I don't know if this is the case for you.. but I have an Nvidia card that also supports HDMI out (via a DVI adapter though). In order to use the audio-out feature, I have to connect an extra audio wire from the card to a digital audio connector on my motherboard.

I don't know if this is the case for you.. but I have an Nvidia card that also supports HDMI out (via a DVI adapter though). In order to use the audio-out feature, I have to connect an extra audio wire from the card to a digital audio connector on my motherboard.

you convert HDMI to dvi and use another another cable?

use the HDMI out to the HDMI in.

no other cable required.

you convert HDMI to dvi and use another another cable?

use the HDMI out to the HDMI in.

no other cable required.

The card I have (GTX 295) and the card I had before that (280) both have DVI outputs only (2x). They come with a small dvi-vga and dvi-hdmi adapter to get those outputs as needed. Because of this I can't just plug an HDMI cable into it.

Although I see that some of the new cards (or at least the 590 which I've been looking at) have a direct hdmi output which looks convenient

(using either straight HDMI to HDMI or MINI HDMI to HDMI:

In Windows 7--start > control panel > (select view as large icons) sound > right click "SONY TV" or whatever TV name comes up, set as default device, set as default communications device (do not set as default communications device if you prefer to use a seperate headset for chat, etc as W7 automatically differentiates between the two. For realism some games like flight simulator will pipe the in game air traffic control to your headphones if they are designated as communication device, while the engine noise comes from the tv)

That's it.

(using either straight HDMI to HDMI or MINI HDMI to HDMI:

In Windows 7--start > control panel > (select view as large icons) sound > right click "SONY TV" or whatever TV name comes up, set as default device, set as default communications device (do not set as default communications device if you prefer to use a seperate headset for chat, etc as W7 automatically differentiates between the two. For realism some games like flight simulator will pipe the in game air traffic control to your headphones if they are designated as communication device, while the engine noise comes from the tv)

That's it.

I told him the same thing except the quicker way(via right click on tray speaker) he hasnt been back since hopefully he did it and worked for him

Hey guys. I'm trying to do this same thing, run my Geforce GT240 with an HDMI through my T.V.
The video works great, but I'd love to use my T.V's speakers.
I tried the steps you guys include, but unfortunately in my sound properties PHILIPS-1 which is my T.V, says "Not plugged in."
any hints?

EDIT: I went into my device manager, and under "Sound" I have five different entries for
"NVIDIA High Definition Audio"
everything is all enabled and "working properly"

EDIT2: I updated my drivers, and bam, just like that, the speakers on my T.V work perfectly. Excellent!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm trying to do this same thing, run my Geforce GT240 with an HDMI through my T.V.
The video works great, but I'd love to use my T.V's speakers.
I tried the steps you guys include, but unfortunately in my sound properties PHILIPS-1 which is my T.V, says "Not plugged in."
any hints?

EDIT: I went into my device manager, and under "Sound" I have five different entries for
"NVIDIA High Definition Audio"
everything is all enabled and "working properly"

EDIT2: I updated my drivers, and bam, just like that, the speakers on my T.V work perfectly. Excellent!

Thats excellent congratz! Its soo much better to change the sound via a control than having to either go to in game options or tab out to set out the volume on the desktop huh!?

Thats excellent congratz! Its soo much better to change the sound via a control than having to either go to in game options or tab out to set out the volume on the desktop huh!?

I'm just so happy I don't have to rely on headphones anymore!
I can actually play music when people are over!
people dissin' my sick rig and stuff.
'cause I had no sound.
pff I'll show them. :p

Back