• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32bit or 64bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys

I know this thread title has been seen before.

I run W7 64bit on my main rig, but im re building my secondary rig atm, and i have a question?

Its gonna be when i get the parts,
MSI G41TM-P33 with Core 2 Duo 2,8Ghz with Kingston DDR2 PC-5300 1Gb ram.

Im going to consider 4gb maybe 6 gb ram in the future. But i got the question,
would i notice any speed difference doing with 64bit w7 instead of 32bit, with that setup, or should i go 32bit until i get the ram, and then change up OS?

Pierre

Hey guys

I know this thread title has been seen before.

I run W7 64bit on my main rig, but im re building my secondary rig atm, and i have a question?

Its gonna be when i get the parts,
MSI G41TM-P33 with Core 2 Duo 2,8Ghz with Kingston DDR2 PC-5300 1Gb ram.

Im going to consider 4gb maybe 6 gb ram in the future. But i got the question,
would i notice any speed difference doing with 64bit w7 instead of 32bit, with that setup, or should i go 32bit until i get the ram, and then change up OS?

Pierre

I've been running 64 bit exclusively since Win 7 launched, and unless theres a 32 bit only CPU, I see no reason to ever install a non 64 bit. It also prevents future hassle with formatting and upgrading to 64 bit down the road, regardless of memory size.

Time to transition :clap:

When it comes to formatting, honestly, not such a big deal. I use this pc for watching stuff on my TV.

Im mainly wondering if theres any advantage in going for 64bit, when i still only have 1gb ram in it.

Keep in mind that a 32 bit OS will only recognize around 3-3.5GB of RAM, so if you add more than that then you're wasting money.

Keep in mind that a 32 bit OS will only recognize around 3-3.5GB of RAM, so if you add more than that then you're wasting money.

I am very well aware of this, my basic question is still. Will i notice any speed diffence in running the setup with 1gb ram, if i run 64 instead of 32bit?

I am very well aware of this, my basic question is still. Will i notice any speed diffence in running the setup with 1gb ram, if i run 64 instead of 32bit?

You won't notice any difference in normal day to day apps.

Pierre

No speed difference except perhaps it seems if you keep your computer on for days so maybe more of the stuff you already used would stay loaded in RAM... So that way you may notice something days after booting in... I never thought about that before but another member at ocforums here was pointing that out. :shrug:

I was (again) trying to find any justification to go 64-Bit and since most average users don't use 6 GB of RAM, that was the first time I came across a reason to consider 64-Bit since with 64-Bit you will give up the option of using old hardware and old software and generally, statistically, you will have less headaches with 32-Bit. I'm still not sure if that is a good enough reason to go 64-Bit before Windows 8 comes out in a year+.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384219(v=vs.85).aspx

As you and most others read that article. The thought is prolly geared to "I run a 64bit CPU and I got a 64bit OS." Well the fact of life is... Most of what we use for surfing and apps, are 32bit. Hence why I linked that piece, from MSDN itself.

If your running 64bit Windows. Take a gander at your Program Files folder. Now take a peek at the Program Files (x86) folder.. See - many things are ran via WOW64.

My point being. With only 1024megs of RAM. You know that every ounce of the system RAM is going to be very precious. Will the added overhead of the 64bit OS be worth it to you... So now I hope you have a solid answer. With the help of the stuff someone already typed out and explained on the MSDN site.

For a machine that runs with such low specs... 32bit would be my pick, and as is on my media box. I am not going to upgrade the RAM anytime soon. If I did, upgrading to 64 would be a snap for me. Or a fresh install. If it cost me to convert to 64bit, I would of took the slight overhead of the 64bit and just dealt with it.

I suggest for such a low amount of RAM to go with 32bit. If you plan on upgrading anytime soon. Then go with 64bit. (I think 64 is the way, but in this case. 32bit is the best pick.) I am usually the one, who says if you have to ask, you already have your answer... When it comes to 64bit. Hands down, for almost.. Every question. 64bit is my answer. I do not however, give that mantra every time. Since sometimes 32bit is the right tool.

Last edited:
Back