• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oc 4690k resulting in HDD not showing up in windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr.Snuggles

Hi,
As the title said I'm have issues with a Overclock on my CPU. I'm new at this but have done some research on overclocking on the i5-4690k and it seemed to be rather straight forward but the result varies between 4.0 to 4.8 Ghz.

My rig:
Motherboard: MSI z97-s02
CPU: I5-4690K
GPU: ASUS DUAL-GTX1070-8G
500 W on my power supply if that is relevant
16 GB ram

But to the issue.

After i've increased my voltade on the core to anything between 1.200 to 1.300 and my clock speed to anything between 4.0-4.5 Ghz I run in to a problem.
Should also note I dissabled the "Enhanced Turbo" setting in BIOS.

In the beginning of the Overclock, like the first day before I shut down my computer, the Overclock works perfectly with either of the setting I've talked about. But whenever I restart the computer after it's been off for a while it loads windows slowly and my oldest HDD doesn't get recognized by windows. Should also note that the HDD isn't the one with Windows 10 on.

Haven't found out a way to allocate the HDD in disk management and I've also set my energy alternativ to "HIGH PERFORMANCE" if that has anything to do with it. I should also note that the HDD in question is by far the oldest one and dates back like 11 years or so.

The Temperature on the CPU when playing taxing games goes between 60- 68 ish celcius.

So do anybody here know anything about my situation? Should I tweak my voltage? Should I ditch my HDD? Or is my CPU really low-end? Or am I missing a really basic thing in BIOS?

Happy for every opinion I can get cause I'm kinda stuck! :)

Did you mess with BCLK or just CPU multiplier when overclocking? What port is it plugged into? Be sure it is on 1-4 or you have to install the drivers for the ASMedia SATA ports (typically 5-6). Have you done the basics... tried swapping SATA ports? Swapping the SATA cable? Trying the drive in another PC?

The CPU being what it is (high-end or a potato) has absolutely NOTHING to do with recognizing storage.

No I didn't touch the BCLK so it's 100.0 at the moment. Forgot to mention that the HDD works perfectly whenever I reset the BIOS so the HDD doesn't seem to be broken for all I know. Therefore I haven't tried switching SATA port, SATA cable or putting it in a new PC. I can try that, but just assumed it was not the problem due to it working whenever the OC isn't applied.

By the ports are you talking about SATA ports?

Yes, ED would be talking about SATA ports. Many motherboards in that generation had a secondary SATA controller that managed some of the SATA ports. Sometimes that was indicated by the ports being different colors, like blue v. white.

Check Device Manager and see if any devices have flags by them indicating missing drivers.

Tried updating the drivers but they where all upp to date and the HDD thats not getting recognized is on either port 1 or 2. i also tried switching places and a new cable with didn't do anything for me. I found the HDD in device manager but it was listed as "unknown device" if that gives you any clue

An unknown device is unknown. How do you know it was the HD? Did you check to see if the HD showed up in another place in Device Manager?

You might also try flashing the bios to a newer version if there is one.

Do you have another hard drive you could try in that system to see if the issue is with the hard drive itself, say a firmware bug?

Have you tested this issue in Safe Mode with the overclock in place? That might help determine if a driver is the issue.

Last edited:
Tried another known good drive on the same port(s)?

The fact that it works intermittently is odd... that doesn't exclude the drive from being bad though.

No I don't really know but the drive is gone from the device manager anyways now for some reason :eh?:
I boot the PC in safe mode and it didn't show up this time either, and no I don't have another lying around I have a couple already in my system tho. Haven't tried flashing the BIOS yet, but might do it soon if I dont figur anything else out :)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Uhm yeah I exchanged a SATA cable with one of the functional disks too se if it worked and also tried exchanged the posision to SATA 2 from 4

Back