• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do i need a new psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffrey123

yeah im not sure, some say it will some say it wont...

here is my rig... looking to upgrade the graphics card and monitor (graphics to 6850 or 6950 if possible, but im pretty sure the 6850)

Monitor: SVA7005S (17 inch, max res is 1280 x 1024)
Processor: Athlon 2 x3 445 (can unlock to x4, just needing a new heatsink)
Video Card: 5670 512 sapphire
Motherboard: ASrock A780LM-s
Ram: 4g DDR2 patriot 800mhz
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

yeah im not sure, some say it will some say it wont...

here is my rig... looking to upgrade the graphics card and monitor (graphics to 6850 or 6950 if possible, but im pretty sure the 6850)

Monitor: SVA7005S (17 inch, max res is 1280 x 1024)
Processor: Athlon 2 x3 445 (can unlock to x4, just needing a new heatsink)
Video Card: 5670 512 sapphire
Motherboard: ASrock A780LM-s
Ram: 4g DDR2 patriot 800mhz
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035
Its not so much the wattage than it is the quality of the PSU that would say to get something (better).

That said, I would trust it with the 6850, but maybe not the 6950 and your future quad if you are overclocking.

Corsair 550VX would be a great choice for that system. :)

i think my cpu would be a bottle neck for the 6950, and all i intend to play on this rig is WoW... well maybe crap like crysis and what not occasionally but...

anyways, is it fine if i do a 6850 and dont upgrade my psu... how much stress would that put on the unit? i dont see me upgrading the psu if its not now :)

You will likely be fine with both cards really. Its an average unit from the reviews I have read.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322679

Conclusions:

To wrap up I'll characterize this one as a solid build for those who want high energy efficiency and not looking to spend over US$75 which is the average retail price on it. I bought mine through ATXpowersupplies.com though which has it for $55, which I feel makes it a much more attractive option then it does when comparing it against units in the $75 range. The Delta made Antec Earthwatts 650W reviewed here sells for around $75 and offers better capacitor brands, independent voltage regulation, better power distribution across three rails, a quieter 120mm cooling solution and of course 150 more total watts---100W of which come from an extra 8A on the 12V combined rating---all at the sacrifice of a few percentage points of efficiency though. Personally, I'd spring for the EA650 between these two choices in a heartbeat because if I wanted to save a few dollars on my electricity bill I'd keep my bathroom light off at night instead of on like I do just so I can see down the hallway when I get up to pee in the middle of the night.

What I like:

• Solid well built Delta construction
• High energy efficiency

What I don't like:

• Only one cable sleeved
• Mediocre ripple and noise suppression
• Failure to pass ATX hold-up time due to inadequate primary capacitor sizing

wahoo, do you happen to know if the my proccessor would bottleneck the 6950

i cant unlock it or OC.. well i can but my board doesnt have heatsinks on the power phase system (i think thats what its called...)

on that note, do you happen to know of any good boards with DDR2 support good for OCing... or a good board + 4g ddr3 ram for around 100usd

It depends on the resolution you play at. The lower it is the more the CPU is involved with the party. But a faster CPU will help that card stretch its legs regardless. You will not, however, be dissappointed with its performance even as your system stands.

AMD is not my bag man.. sorry.

Back