• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, do I need any changes to bios? Z390 + 9900k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

Been out of the loop for over a year now and just built my new gaming rig over the weekend. While instill remembered how to put it all together, I need refreshing on the bios side of things.

Parts Used

NZXT H500i Case
ASRock Z390 Taichi Board
I9-9900k CPU
TridentZ RGB 16gb 3200 Ram
Patriot Scorch M.2 SSD
EVGA Supernova G3 650w PSU
Corsair H100i Pro RGB
Video Card - Not Yet Acquired - 1070 ti or 1080 ti

Don't really plan on overclocking at the moment, want to run stock for a bit and see how everything goes.

I did notice bios set the ram to 2133, so I changed that to 3200. Other than that, am I missing any other setting i might want to change for a well balanced gaming rig?

Last edited:
The BIOS will always default to the JEDEC spec. This is normal behavior and has been such for generations now. :)

I assume when you set it to 3200, you simply enabled XMP, yes? If not, do that instead of setting just the speed. This will pull the XMP profiles on the sticks. ;)

Other than that, nothing needs ot be changed, no.

I read the thread title as changes to a build list, not the BIOS...........:rofl:. May want to add BIOS there so readers are clear they are not going over another build list for ya! :)

I assume when you set it to 3200, you simply enabled XMP, yes? If not, do that instead of setting just the speed. This will pull the XMP profiles on the sticks. ;)

I noticed on the bios it said targeted ram speed 2133, so I found the setting that said DDR-4 2133 and changed that to DDR-4 3200, then I noticed XMP Profile #1 said DDR4-3200 so I selected that option. I'll have to double check to make sure XMP is enabled.

Reset it all, just enabled XMP.

You MAY need to lower the System agent voltage as sometimes it sets it too high. 1.0V should be plenty for 3200 MHz.

Reset it all, just enabled XMP.

You MAY need to lower the System agent voltage as sometimes it sets it too high. 1.0V should be plenty for 3200 MHz.

What's best to monitor with nowadays? HWInfo? Or does software like NZXTs Cam work well? I noticed for my corsair h100i I downloaded iCue and CPU temps was at 27c but in NZXT Cam they was at like 30 - 32c.

Hwmonitor is solid if you want gobs of information. Just temps, I like Coretemp or Realtemp.

Hwmonitor is solid if you want gobs of information. Just temps, I like Coretemp or Realtemp.

Appreciate the help, guess my only question left is the mobos USB connector. Connected the front panel USBs to one connector on the mobo, that left me with one 4 pin USB connector left on the mobo.

The corsair h100i pro came with a cell phone charger cable that plugs into the side of the pump, then the other end is an 8 pin USB connector, but only 4 wires on it. If I connect those 4 wires up to the single 4 pin USB connector on the mobo that's ok right? Everything seemed to read the cooler in the program's I used.

cell phone charger cable?

Pretty sure that cable is so the Corsair software works with the pump, etc.

cell phone charger cable?

Pretty sure that cable is so the Corsair software works with the pump, etc.

Yea the end looks just like a cell phone charger, the mini USB connector. It plugs into the side of the pump. Technology now days, when your pump and cell phone take the same connector.

Was mainly just making sure that 8 pin USB end would be ok plugging into a 4 pin USB connector on the mobo.

Yea the end looks just like a cell phone charger, the mini USB connector. It plugs into the side of the pump. Technology now days, when your pump and cell phone take the same connector.

Was mainly just making sure that 8 pin USB end would be ok plugging into a 4 pin USB connector on the mobo.
8 pin and 4 pin usb?? You lost me man...

USB 2.0 motherboard headers are 9-pin bud! Plug it in as normal.

Last edited:
8 pin and 4 pin usb?? You lost me man...

USB 2.0 motherboard headers are 9-pin bud! Plug it in as normal.

My board has 1x 9pin USB header and 1x 4pin USB header, both labeled in the manual as USB 2.0 headers. I have the NZXT h500i case which comes with a control box to work the RGB strips and RGB fans and runs the NZXT CAM software, so that box is plugged into the 9pin header on my board, which leaves me with only 1 4pin header left on my board.

Now my pump has an 8pin USB connector on it, but only 4 wires in it, so if I plug that 8 pin connector into the 4 pin on my board, it should work, right?

Screenshot_20181112-153717_Drive.jpg

That should work. Just make sure it lines up with the wires and keep the "blank" to the right of the pins

That should work. Just make sure it lines up with the wires and keep the "blank" to the right of the pins

Appreciate it, I don't have enough time or money to mess with different builds weekly or monthly. Last time I done any of this was in 2012 when I built my last gaming system. Sold it last August and just now built this new system.

To be on the safe side, I would not assume the water cooling pump will run off the 4 pin USB header. Try the RGB stuff on that one.

You could also do this: https://www.amazon.com/Header-Exten...pID=41XDFxufi-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I ran iCUE which is corsairs new software that bundled CUE and Corsair Link into one, and iCUE showed my cooler and I was able to change the RGB on it, plus after about 2 hours of installing and just updating stuff the CPU temp was still at 32c, so I believed it to be working.

I don't understand why it wouldn't work, even tho it's got a 9 pin connector on the pump its only got 4 wires on the connector, so I figured my 4 pin USB header on the mobo should run it correctly. Just asked on here to double check

Okay, I misunderstood. So you have already tried the pump on that 4 pin header. So it's just for power, not for communication.

Okay, I misunderstood. So you have already tried the pump on that 4 pin header. So it's just for power, not for communication.

Here's what it looks like, it's got 2 fan plugs, 1 sata plug, and 1 pump plug. the part I have circled is a mini USB slot that the cable with the 9 pin USB connector plugs in to. But that 9 pin connector only has 4 wires, the other 5 holes are blank. so plugging it into the 4 pin on my mobo should work just fine is what I'm making sure of.

It seems the USB is for communication and the SATA is for power, just making sure that when icue is reading the pump that its coming from that USB cable and not the sata cable, which means the USB cable is working right?

20181113_195019.jpg

For clarity, that system gets power through SATA and pump data/control through the usb.

I honestly dont know if it will work properly with that plugged in to a 4pin. Do all 9 pins have wires on that end?

Last edited:
For clarity, that system gets power through SATA and pump data/control through the usb.

I honestly dont know if it will work properly with that plugged in to a 4pin. Do all 9 pins have wires on that end?

No all 9 pins do not have wires, it only has 4 wires. Looks just like this, as u can see it's a 9 pin connector, but only 4 wires

fd510ce0-d6f3-48f9-b52e-2422631a1e82.jpg

And the light shines brightly upon me!!!!!!!!!

That is fine as it only has the 4 wires in there. Sorry I missed that previously. I was worried it had all 9.

Back