• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding card for prebuilt D: - A2620

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Derpderp

I'm pretty low on money at the moment so I thought getting this really cheap prebuild would be a good idea. It really wasn't.

I need help picking a better graphics card and I've never done this before.
This is the specs so far:
AMD Athlon II X3 425, clocked at 2.7 GHz
3GB DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 9200
Generic 250w PSU
No info about motherboard

Looking pretty grim right?
I've googled around and found one post about it - a guy bought a 9600Gt for his, he said all that's needed is for it to fit the single PCI-e 2.0 single width slot. And it has to use less than 75w. I'd have bought a 9600 I just wanted help and advice from some experts first

I only need it to provide two display outputs and some light gaming! D:

Help is much appreciated

I couldn't find any information via the A2620 number you listed. What ports are available on the motherboard? Is there a 16x or 4x PCI-E slot, or are you limited to a 1x PCI-E slot? What form factor is the case?

If it has a full-size slot and it's some form of tower case (not SFF), you could upgrade the power supply and you could update to whichever videocard you prefer.

One single, full height PCI-e slot. It's just in a bit of an awkward place.

Do you think an updated psu is the best bet? I only wanted a quick fix D: thing's are never easy :)

I'd say an updated PSU is the best way to go, since you wouldn't be limited to a particular card, you could add more hard drives or a new CPU later if you want, and it'll help overall stability with a new graphics card.

At 250W you're extremely limited in what you can do with the system, and I'd be surprised if it would actually be stable with even a 9600GT. Look at something like the Corsair VX series if you want to stick to a lower PSU budget (~500W is all you'd need), or even a decent Silverstone unit if you can land one at a good price. There are some good PSU models listed in a stickied thread in the PSU section. What you don't want to do is pick up a cheap PSU from an unknown or known-bad vendor (ie Apevia, etc). Ignore the wattage rating on PSU's for the most part, as some vendors like to report "peak" wattage and not real output, and look for a strong 12V rail in the specs.

Even if you don't upgrade the GPU immediately, you should get a decent replacement PSU first as it'll give you more options to upgrade later.

Once you've sorted the PSU, you can pick up a used 8800-series desktop card, or even a 3870 or 4850 if you can find one for a decent price, or even something better if your budget allows for it (check the GPU section for recommendations within your budget).

Back