• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eyefinity and the taskbar saga

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

OK, I'm tired of googling this crap so I thought I'd hit up my OC brothers to put in some 2cents.

First, I took advantage of Newegg's Memorial Day sale last weekend and picked up THREE ACER 23" 1080p LCD's to replace my single 25.5" ASUS (which I loved but was discontinued - pisses me off) and two lower resolution scrappy LCD's.

I have a 5870 but again, these seem to have been discontinued like the Asus 25.5" LCD so I had to decide whether to spend $400 on a second 5870 or just buy two new 6900 series for my crossfire. After much contemplation and reading I discovered I'd need more than 1GB VRAM so I bought two 6950 2GB cards.

ANYWAY, my question is- why the hell did ATI remove the ability to make profiles in the newest catalysts drivers/CCC? This is extremely annoying because I want/need/love my taskbar middle screen bottom so I have to switch between eyefinity and extended desktop modes. Without a quick profile manager to switch it's annoying as :censored::censored::censored::censored: to swap back in forth. I tried a few apps I saw recommended around the web but they were either two complicated/painful to setup or didn't work.

I saw some people go to the later versions 10.x series CCC to get the profile making ability back but I don't think I want to go through the hassle of downgrading my drivers.

What's the consensus on this.

I'm going to get some FPS right now for crysis 2 with just the single 5870 as I haven't had time to install the 6950's yet- I want to see how the 5870 runs...

Really really pissed they DC'd the 5870 IMO it was a great card and same with the Asus 25.5LCD - beautiful, massive picture, would've loved two more.

Thanks guys!

Here's a little preview of the setup:

IMG_6056.JPG

OK so I installed FRAPS and my 5870 and rig listed in my sig gets 16-23fps CRYSIS 2 in 5760x1080 with settings to EXTREME...

Seriously, what an awesome video card.

I'm still debating opening the 2 6950's up and seeing how they do. Thinking I should turn down the settings to HIGH and see how things look/play/fps. Debating whether to return the unopened 6950's or not. I would hope to get at least 30-40fps which I understand is about the playable threshold - maybe I'll trying to find some more benches on the web.

The 16-23fps I get on the single 5870 is playable but definitely not idea when the action get's hot and heavy.

What to do, what to do...

Try using the windows key + P. Duplicate mode should be eyefinity and extended is extended. It's how I used to switch with my 5970, but for some reason it doesn't work right with my 6950.

Hi
Weren't the profiles just renamed to "Presets" in Catalyst? You just have to make an eyefinity group, save that under a Preset, make an extended group save that under another Preset

Back