• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I've got an Asus Z97 A motherboard and I have a question Fan speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

My Asus Z97A has never read the chassis fan speeds, only the CPU speed. I called into Asus and talk with tech support and to be perfectly honest with you I don't think they really knew what they were talking about. Because after everything they told me they suggested a fan and when I looked at it it wouldn't do what they were saying anyway.

This is my question since I installed my Asus Z 97 a back in 2015 the case fans have never been read either on the bios or on the AI Suite 3 fan section. What Asus told me was it was because all the case fans are a three pin connector and the fourth pin is what's given the motherboard the ability to read the fan speed.

It just doesn't make sense to me because why would case companies who make their own fans as well in high-end cases put three pin fan connectors knowing there are motherboards out there That read the fan speeds for the case fans.

Can anybody here confirm that the information he gave me was correct or incorrect? Once again he saying that because it's a three pin fan connected to the chassis header of my Z97A motherboard it can't read the fan speeds. It only reads the CPU fan and I'm not sure how many pens that has because I haven't taken apart to look at it yet. He said I need a 4 pin fan For my motherboard to be able to read the speeds. C the case I just bought is a Corsair 540 Which has a total of six fans installed and it, my motherboard only has four chassis fan headers I know I can connect the two other fans to my power supply as long as I'm not worried about them not being read by my bios.

I don't want to buy for brand-new fans with four pins only to find out That the information he gave me was incorrect. I appreciate everyone's input in advance

That’s all bull****

3 pin can be controlled by a motherboard or fan controller. 3 pin fans are controlled by voltage, basically the motherboard changes the voltage which changes the fan speed.

4 pin fans have an extra control which is pwm (pulse width modulation) this is a much better way of controlling speed as it is much smoother and can run at slower speeds.

Basically your motherboard should be able to read the speed of the fans. Not sure why they are saying otherwise.

EDIT: check the web page it says it should easily be done. https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z97A/

That’s all bull****

3 pin can be controlled by a motherboard or fan controller. 3 pin fans are controlled by voltage, basically the motherboard changes the voltage which changes the fan speed.

4 pin fans have an extra control which is pwm (pulse width modulation) this is a much better way of controlling speed as it is much smoother and can run at slower speeds.

Basically your motherboard should be able to read the speed of the fans. Not sure why they are saying otherwise.

EDIT: check the web page it says it should easily be done. https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z97A/

Thanks for your reply, I thought he was talking total BS but not knowing enough about it I couldn't call them on it. I knew if I posted here I would get the correct information but now the question remains is there a setting in my bios that I need to set so that the fans are read because right now all my chassis fans that are connected to chassis headers are not showing the RPMs on my bios nor in the Ai Suite 3 utility.

Thanks for the link I will check it out right now

After looking at the link you sent me I started to think about when I built my latest system and I think ( I'll know for sure tonight when I get a chance to look inside ) I connected all the fans to my PSU.. what a dumbass I am........lol and then I wonder why my motherboard isn't reading the temps....DUH!!!

I guess the Asus tech was right

Last edited:
I have the z97-ar and i could never get my 3 pins to work correctly in the suite. I swapped out for some corsair ML120s 4 pin PWM and was able to control it through the suite. Before i was just able to turn speed up or down and i had some termaltake 3 pin fans.

Back