• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8600 or Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

So I've been running an E8600 @ 4GHz daily for the past year or so, but recently my friend just gave me a rig with 8GB ram (which I took xD) and a Q6600 in it. I've got the Q6600 G0 running at 3.8 (completely unstable, though) right now, but am wondering if I should continue playing with this one or just hop back on the E8600 and run with that. It's basically the C2D @ 4GHz or the C2Q at 3.6ish (which I think I could manage to get stable pretty easily).

Which would you prefer?

Edit: also, I don't really do much requiring a quad-core. Occasional video-encoding and compression/extraction, but nothing my 4GHz wolfie can't handle

Last edited:
I had my E8500 running stable at 3,87Ghz, with the stock cooler, and it runs most games pretty decent, still, quadcore is now really supported by most games, if you can clock it to 3,8Ghz, I pressume you would run games a bit smoother.
But why not find out for yourself? Easy to install agame, just switch videocards if they are not the same, and memory. Find out which pc gives the most frames.

In any case, I loved my E8500, but it was really needing 4 cores.

Id sell that rig for a more substantial upgrade. ;)

I'd love to, no money, time or need, really. I just like to have a decent computer in case I do want to pick up a new game for a week or two xD

At this point I think i'll test the IP35 Pro and Q6600 together and make sure it's all in good shape and sell it as a bundle/individually. Will help to pay for my car maintenance fund :)

Back