• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some PC trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm back sadly. Everything was running great up until now. I had a few tabs open in chrome and a mediamonkey playing some music and the computer froze. No blue screen however. In the windows even viewer, I have this.
Code:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>2</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-07-29T04:39:51.858035500Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>28343</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>Taylor-PC</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Slightly different from the others. I had my computer on before today, and put it into sleep mode. It seems to be whenever I put it in sleep mode maybe?

I tried stressing the CPU and RAM using Prime95. Each time, a few minutes into the test, one of the workers will stop because of an error. All it says is "Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."

Looks a lot like an unstable core. That may cause a RAM-like error for the CPU cache.

I don't know guys. The temps are way too high for my liking. I keep mine around 40 deg celsius idle and hits 50 at full load. If I go anywhere near 55 I crash and BSOD like crazy.

Maybe you should make sure there is good contact between the heat sink and cpu. Try some new thermal paste if you can't get a new heat sink right away. Don't increase voltages since that dramatically increases temperatures.

Also check airflow in your case, good airflow will be key to overclocking in the future. Cool n' quiet will keep the temps down but will destroy any attempts at overclocking.

Once the thing is cool overclocking will be easier, hope this helps.

@RJARRRPCGP: I haven't received that error for some time now since stress testing. Do you think that is still a possibility?

@vanibanez: Yeah, I have heard that a lot, it would seem odd that a stock cooler that comes with the processor wouldn't be enough, it came with thermal paste already on it, so I'll try taking it off and putting some new stuff on it. You seem to have a similar setup as I do too as far as the processor and ram goes.

@trents: What do you mean by if I have sleep mode still enabled? The Windows sleep mode? If so, yes, I use that quite often. That shouldn't cause a problem, but if it is, would there be a fix for that?

Thank you very much everyone for all the help/support given so far.

Back