• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Four card Crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamoku

First off, let me say this : :bang head

Why must there only be one 6800 series card with crossfire support over 2 cards? D:

So what I'm thinking is this...PowerColor has a card, the AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH, which supports 4x CrossFire..Unfortunately, this is the only 6000 series card which has the capabilities for crossfire above two cards. Now if I were to get three of these, and put them in crossfire with another 6850 series card..Would this be more or less effective than simply getting four AX6850's? I know that when you put multiple cards in, it caps the transfer rate (16x16x, 16x8x8x, 4x4x4x4x) but if you have 4x on a higher end card, wouldn't it still be better than that of a less powerful card?

I appologize for my lack of knowledge on crossfire, but I'm just not sure how it works :shrug: ..And the (re)searching I've done didn't really tell me much about it.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has tried this or knows what's going on and can let me know.

Info:
Motherboard (Also: Is this fully capable of 4x crossfire? Or does it not matter on the motherboard, as long as it has the slots?)
PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH

Last edited:
Bandwidth does affect the cards performance a lot. Its like putting a x16 card in a x16 slot that run x1, its going to make the performance of the card hinder a lot.

Now for crossfire you can only do 4 GPU in a configuration, whether it be Nvidia or AMD.

Example: 4x 6850s = 4 GPUs or you can do 1x 6870x2 and 2x 6850s

You might be asking how come you can do a 6870x2 and 2x 6850s. Well first of all that is 4 GPUs, the 6870x2 is a 2 GPU card and the 6850s are 1 GPU each card.

Now you might be asking how come, they are different model numbers?. Yes one is a 6870x2 and one is a 6850, but you can CFX from different series. For example a 4850 and a 4890 can CFX because they are in the 4800 Series, and the same goes for the 6800 Series, and so on etc....

Hope this helped :)

That does answer some of my questions about crossfire, and thank you for that.

But my concern is that the 6800 series cards only have one cfx connection, with the exception of the AX6850-I2DH. But even though it only has one connection on it, would it be able to run together with the other three cards? Or would it be incompatible?

My question is why would u want to crossfire 4 of any card unless you have a multi monitor setup? Scaling after 2 cards is a severely diminshing return and not worth the money.

As far as bandwidth, while it does affect performance, its not as much as you think. With that said, I still wouldn't run anything on 4x.

That does answer some of my questions about crossfire, and thank you for that.

But my concern is that the 6800 series cards only have one cfx connection, with the exception of the AX6850-I2DH. But even though it only has one connection on it, would it be able to run together with the other three cards? Or would it be incompatible?

oh yes I forgot, you can only 2 way CFX them even though CFX is a 4 GPU setup.

My question is why would u want to crossfire 4 of any card unless you have a multi monitor setup? Scaling after 2 cards is a severely diminshing return and not worth the money.

As far as bandwidth, while it does affect performance, its not as much as you think. With that said, I still wouldn't run anything on 4x.

Yeah, I looked into some of the scaling info on a couple of the newer posts. Also, I'd rather have multiple gpu's before having multiple monitors. Because the 250gts that I'm running is less than adequate for multi display setups to say the least. Thank you for the input, though. I do realize that without multiple displays it's more about how much power it is capable of as opposed to what I can see it do.

They can still do that, the bridge gives a lot better performance though.

The lower level cards don't have bridges but can still crossfire.

Yea but the op is talking about a non reference card that has 2

Actually, there are two cards. The second card only has one connector on it. That's the card I'm wondering will work with the low profile version.

Three time of the low profile? what do you mean. I am saying that CFX is a 4 GPU setup, no matter what you do or how you do it, you can only have 4 GPUs in a configuration.

Yes. Three low profile cards and one full sized card. They are in the op, dude. I specified this there.

I think he's just trying to get his post count up so he can post something in the classifieds.

Anyways, it should work, you can crossfire different cards. That board also supports x8 quadfire I think. Though to be honest I think it may be a better idea to get 3 6950s or something.

I think he's just trying to get his post count up so he can post something in the classifieds.

Anyways, it should work, you can crossfire different cards. That board also supports x8 quadfire I think. Though to be honest I think it may be a better idea to get 3 6950s or something.

Who's trying to put something in the classifieds?

And it doesn't matter if its a low profile, a regular or a 3 slot card they will all work together with each other.

Back