• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plans for a fiberglass case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

canibalpenguin

I plan on building a new computer soon and could not find a case that I liked. So I decided to make my own and use fiberglass. This is the basic concept.
The lower section is closed off from the top and will hold the two psu's, the res with pelt and heatsink on the bottom. Two 120mm fans will intake and the psu's will exhaust.
The upper section will be the rest of the system. The hdd cage on the bottom, two 120's for intake and two 120's on the rad at the top for exhaust.
Nothing really supper crazy but I can set it u[ the way I want.
I'm still not 100% on the intakes, I think I might change them and use 200's. There will be a bit more to the exterior, I plan on building up around the fans about an inch or so and making inlets. I might set the fans back in the case some as well.
The water cooling will be all aluminum. Why? you ask. Because I'll be making the pieces myself and aluminum is way cheaper than copper. A block of aluminum that cost a few dollars would cost around 40 for copper. I'll post pictures of the cpu block soon.
I already have the fiberglass, the pelt is on the way and I've been working on part of the cooling control (with much help) here.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6941267#post6941267
The fans, pelt and the lights will controlled by a micro controller. whole.jpg
whole6.jpg

Very nice. Only slight problem I could see is where you have the hard drives. They could block any expansion cards you have in depending on sizing of them.:shrug: Just a thought.

Keep us posted, Looks like a very promising design.:drool:

Why use fiberglass ???
Have you every worked with fiberglass before ???
Best way to get a nice finish would be to make a mold of what you want and find someone with a chop to spray it with a gel coat too...

@TorqueRanger, I have had plenty of experience with composites. And no, spraying chop on a mold would make for a rather poor finish. Unless you want to do a lot of filling and glazing. Why not use fiberglass?

@Torqueranger, I have had plenty of experience with composites. And no, spraying chop on a mold would make for a rather poor finish. Unless you want to do a lot of filling and glazing. Why not use fiberglass?

LOL That's why they use the chop and mold process on boats and there finish is almost perfect ,So I am not sure where you would have a got poor finish from this at all.. Oh by the way , are you hand laying the fiberglass or just using premade fiberglass sheets????

Back