• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a power supply can crash a game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So wait.. you just installed the card and didnt update the driver you were using previously???? That may be your issue! :)

Go HERE and click on the first green link under the SUPPORT tab - "Automatically detect and install the right driver"

Maybe, How can I know?

If you had no problems with your previous GPU and now your computer crashes without doing anything strenuous on the GPU and the only thing you have changed is the GPU, then I would suspect the GPU. This is because, at idle, the GPU doesn't pull much power at all.

If you were having problems before the GPU switch, then I would suspect a possible faulty PSU. What was your previous GPU?

Alright, that's really low power. You didn't have any problems before the HD6950?

When you say "Sometime, it's even my computer that crash" when you aren't in a game, what are you doing when the crashes happen?

Alright, that's really low power. You didn't have any problems before the HD6950?

When you say "Sometime, it's even my computer that crash" when you aren't in a game, what are you doing when the crashes happen?

I go my new gt430 in January
I had no problems since June..because my video card was broken. I know it because I try it on another computer and it did the same problems, lags.

When my computer crash, I was playing bfbc2, on skype and the game just ended

One way to check if your PSU is not delivering is to connect a digital multimeter to the 12v and ground pins (#1 & 2, yellow & black) of any 4-pin peripheral molex connector on your PSU while it's under load (playing bfbc2, etc...).

If your PSU is delivering between 11.95 - 12.5V during load, it's likely OK. If not, then it's failing. Note that you may need to watch it for a while to keep an eye out for voltage creep, i.e., slowly climbing voltage.

ATX spec is 5% either way believe it or not...11.4v+ or 12.6v or less. The closer to 12 the better, but...thats the spec.

Back