• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Xbox 360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its locked down to prevent it. If it were possible, you'd be looking at making hardware modifications like something requiring soldering. I haven't read around on the topic however, but a quick peak at google doesn't have anything of substance.

From my look through modding of the 360 there isn't a way to overclock it. There is a way you can severely downclock it for a certain exploit, but I've never heard of a way to overclock it.

I remember when they were puttin 1.4ghz celerons in the original Xbox to replace the 733mhz p3. Shame you can't do stuff like that now

Unfortunately M$ thinks that modding leads to piracy so you will never see this being a possibility.

As well it could lead to "advantages" in gaming if its overclocked.

This is why they want it locked down like that. Though for someone like me that rarely plays open online I would love options to tweak it, and disable everything for gaming online.

Console games are locked to a set frame rate...Even if you could OC and Xbox, it probably wouldn't do didly squat.

Just my opinion.

Y'all saying it isn't possible aren't too bright.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7499711_overclock-xbox.html

It will NOT increase your frames per second as they are locked, however when playing large scale single player games, or very intense games, you may notice less "lag spikes" due to it's increase speed. You may ALSO notice the dashboard, and xbox live menus load a LOT faster. if you do overclock it it is highly advised to buy after market cooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
NecroTroll!

That doesn't overclock anything. That article is bogus. No one who knows anything about overclocking would call flashing DVD drive firmware "overclocking". If it could help anything, it wouldn't help anything but load times.

Last edited:
NecroTroll!

That doesn't overclock anything. That article is bogus. No one who knows anything about overclocking would call flashing DVD drive firmware "overclocking". If it could help anything, it wouldn't help anything but load times.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA!

That's the most I've laughed on this site in years! :D

How's it going I.M.O.G.?

Yeah... overclocking a 360 would be worthless. There'd be no increase in framerate or any other noticeable difference.

Now if you could add another 16 gigs of RAM to the system... and install Ubuntu in it... and get an Ubuntu-Friendly version of Supreme Comander going on it...

EDIT: Or you could just buy the 360 version...

No.
And it wouldn't help either.
You can water cool it for bragging rights if you want.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA!

That's the most I've laughed on this site in years! :D

How's it going I.M.O.G.?

Yeah... overclocking a 360 would be worthless. There'd be no increase in framerate or any other noticeable difference.

Now if you could add another 16 gigs of RAM to the system... and install Ubuntu in it... and get an Ubuntu-Friendly version of Supreme Comander going on it...

EDIT: Or you could just buy the 360 version...

you can install linux, it has to be a hacked box though, like RGH/Jtag, havent had the time to test it out on my box.
maybe then you could run a softfsb modder or something of the sort? lol. wouldnt work on live though, unless you want it to get banned in a few minutes.

Aren't Xbox in general fairly notorious for overheating ? Why would you want to overclock and compound the problem (unless you're also footing the bill for better cooling ofc) ?

Back