• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DP to DVI to VGA eyefinity question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Austin3334

Currently I have two monitors using DVI and HDMI ports and have a VGA monitor that was originally hooked via DVI to VGA from my old 5770 that I put in just for that.

The 5770(originally ran hotter than my 6870 both idle/load) increased the temp on the 6870 by 10C respectably. So I took out the 5770 and tried to use the non-active DP to DVI adapter.

The problem I ran into was the DVI to VGA is a different revision than the DP to DVI.
DP to DVI
2.JPG
DVI to VGA
Capture.JPG

As you can see the 4 pins on the DVI to VGA wont fit in the DP adapter.

So will removing those 4 pins work?
Also, say I just get another HDMI/DVI monitor will the non-active DP adapter work or will I have to get an active one?(if I can remember correctly Sapphire came out with non-active DP adapters that looked similar to the one I have, however I cannot recall if this was specific to a certain model)

So, you're trying to go from DP to DVI and then to VGA? I don't think that will work even if the connectors did fit.

DP & HDMI only have digital video signals. DVI supports both digital and analog video signals via different pins. VGA is analog only.

Edit: Or go with this cable. It has an active digital to analog convertor built-in.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024609&p_id=6018&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:
So, you're trying to go from DP to DVI and then to VGA? I don't think that will work even if the connectors did fit.

DP & HDMI only have digital video signals. DVI supports both digital and analog video signals via different pins. VGA is analog only.

Edit: Or go with this cable. It has an active digital to analog convertor built-in.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024609&p_id=6018&seq=1&format=2

Hmmm, had no idea that DP/HDMI didn't work the same way as DVI when it comes to analog. Figured it wasn't a problem going from Digital from Analog but not vice versa. That makes sense though, somewhere it would have to translate the signal.

Since I have this DP to DVI, would this config work?
1. HDMI to HDMI Monitor
2. DVI to DVI-VGA adapter to VGA monitor
3. DP to DP-DVI adapter to DVI monitor.

Since it doesn't plug and play, does that mean the DP adapter isn't active? Or is there something im missing here?

Anyway thanks for the reply and link.

It must be some kind of limitation of eyefinity. Some of the ports are shared I think. Have you looked in the manual?

It must be some kind of limitation of eyefinity. Some of the ports are shared I think. Have you looked in the manual?

I don't have access to the manual at the moment.

Since the DP to DVI is working, does that mean it is active? or is it only working since my res is not above 1920x1080(read somewhere that non-active can achieve that res but not beyond).

Anyway, AMDs website has nothing that helps with eyefinity that I can see.

With that said, we need to get a thread going that has all the info, instructions, and set-ups that work, once thats established make it a sticky.

Back