• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a good cheapish GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
My 4850 is growing old. FPS drops are getting common in newer games, and i think it's time to upgrade. I have a budget of about $150 or so, but i've been out of the GPU loop for like 3 generations now. I thought about getting a 4890 or a 4850x2, but i'm not sure my PSU could keep up with that kind of power. (Was planning on trifire), so i'm going to opt for a single powerfulish card today instead of staying in the past.

Anyone have any ideas?

^ $150 as per OP...

I would suggest a 560ti they can be had for $160-200, and have excellent performance.

If your budget is super tight the 6870 is a great alternative.

you should be able to sell your 4850 for around $40 too a bit more if it is a 1gb card.

If the 560 Ti 448 comes out, which we will know by November 29th, it likely will force prices down in the price range you are looking at. The 6870 has already started dipping in price and the old 560 Ti is likely to follow if the new card is released. However the new 560 Ti will likely be closer to MSRP and therefore be out of your price range. However waiting for it should drive down prices especially if you are buying used.

I often sell 560 Tis for $175 shipped used and expect their resale value to drop to something like $150, and $125 for a 6870, if the new 560 Ti comes out. Currently the 6850 is worth around $120 used and the 6970 is worth around $150 used.

How's the 6850 stack up to my 4850? Is the 560ti better or worse then the 6850?

(Never heard of a 560ti btw. I'm outta the loop :chair: )

If you can scavenge a few extra bucks and want something better than the 6870. You might want to look into a 6950. Awesome cards, and anything past that is going to cost you a pretty penny.

If you can hold out a bit longer. Wait tell the 7 series is released and pick up a 6950 or 6970 for cheapish...

Back