• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calculated minimum PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deltafan909

I thought I would calculate the PSU that I would need instead of overspending. I have been selecting parts for a new build for the past week or so mostly just to start finding the best products for the best price.

Anyways, I went here: http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx to calculate my PSU needs. Would you guys trust this? My proposed first build specs are below.

Please tell me what you guys think! This website told me a minimum of 650W would be needed for my system. I was thinking either a Corsair Fully Modular PSU of either 750W or 850W. Before my calculations, I was planning on getting a 1050W for "future-proofing."

HAF X
i7 2700K
Corsair 1050W
ASRock Z68 Extreme4
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB 1600MHz
x2 ATI5770 1GB Each(Being carried over from current system, will be replaced by an Nvidia card at some point)
Razer Lycosa
1TB 7200RPM
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 278
A quality 450w unit could run that system without issue. If you want to overclock a bunch and generally play with it, a quality 650w unit will give you lots of headroom. I would not overclock heavily on a 450w.

If you envision tacking the benching team entry requirements and really pushing things you might manage to eat enough juice to need a 750w unit.
More realistically, you could run that setup nicely overclocked and add another 5770 or two on an 850. To actually need a 1050w unit you would need to change GPUs, or run the whole thing heavily voltmodded cooled with liquid nitrogen!

Grab yourself a Corsair 650w and you'll be all set.

Minimum being 650W is BS, but 650W is a nice point to hit to give a nice amount of overhead with overclocks (assuming you aren't going to be benching that machine, that is).

+1 to a 650TX.

Thank you both for your input. I do have 2 ATI 5770's in crossfire. I will be moderately overclocking to 4.5GHz and only higher if I have lots of headroom as far as cooling. I think I will get a 750W from Corsair. Would you guys reccommend a semi-modular PSU with only required wires already connected or a fully modular PSU? The only reason I wanted a 1050W was that my current one from AW is 850W with my rig in my sig. Again, thanks for the help! I may upgrade to a GTXxxx at some point to replace these cards. The game I play(FSX, soon to be Microsoft Flight) seems to like Nvidia and intel products better than AMD.

They can writte down whatever they enjoy, amount means few, quality means everything. And the exact combined specs on the 12V rail including a signature to backup that they spelled out nothing but the truth. Nowadays 12V is surely by far most important because even the CPU is getting juice from.

I'm still thinking about getting this CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 PSU. I want to have some headroom to possibly SLI some GTXxxx's in the future. Maybe something like 560s. I also love the modular design, I'm all about neat an tidiness!

IMO a 750W can run anything SLI/CFX setup except 580s.

HOWEVER, we don't know the power consumption of the next gen cards, so if you want to SLI those an 850W is a very good choice. :thup:

Sli 560 could be done with a quality 550w unit no sweat. Especially with sandy bridge as your CPU. I would personally grab a hx or ax 650w psu or an antec true power 650w. The antec is cheaper. But is still a great psu.

Back