• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Horrerblade

SO i have a HP Pavilion Elite m9040n its the computer that is in my signature. i want to overclock the CPU so that i can get a few more months out of this system before i upgrade so the motherboard that i have is this one if i want to overclock will i absolutely need to upgrade the stock cpu cooler? and what does Overclocking do to the CPU's lifespan i heard that this is going to lower it or i might break my cpu i dont want to do that so this will be my first overclock so if some one could help me that would be great well thanks for looking.

Because HP PCs don't support overclocking, you might be able to use either ClockGen or SetFSB to bump the FSB depending on the clock generator. If neither one supports your board's clock generator, you could always try performing BSEL and VID (Voltage ID) mods to bump the FSB to 333MHz, and the VID of the chip above the default Vcore.

Intel BSEL & VID mod Guide
http://www.overclock.net/t/341123/intel-bsel-vid-mod-guide

You want SetFsb more than likely. Research the clock generator on the motherboard, you will need it to use this program. The other option is to tape the Bsel pin on the CPU, both should work. The catch is that the bsel mod may not work if your CPU won't OC to 3GHz, mine won't but most do.

Back