• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future 200Gb/s Hard Drives !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe by the time this makes mainstream production, normal hard drive prices will come back down.

Ha! I wish... but this kind of technology is probably at least 10 years away from being at the consumer level. Lets hope somebody other than Marvell is making the controllers to interface with them at that point! We will all be like SSD's are good for paper weights, you need a laser drive dude!

Not really impressed. I guess it's mechanical, because the storage media must be moving beneath the laser.

SSD's are in their infancy. I can see NAND getting much faster and cheaper, and survive more write cycles. If (when) SSD's triple or quadruple in performance and size and halve in cost, it would make a mechanical drive for consumers seem risky.

Meanwhile motherboards can't send 200 GB/s across it's PCIe lanes and such...lol.

Motherboards in 10 years will likely be able to. Since this drive isn't out yet, I don't see the problem.

That's just hard to comprehend in comparison to what we see now. 200GB/s is what, 2000gbps...2tbps? lol that's nuts. I can imagine whenever those hit the consumer market it will have that SSD effect/pricing...I can't imagine needing that kinda speed personally, but the server world would benefit from it.

1.6 Terabits per second.

The speed increase is going to be gradual until then. I just wiped disks off a Pentium 3 server that I'm parting out. It has 15,000 RPM 18gb 3.5" disks that get a whopping 28 mb/sec. Back then, I'm sure someone would have said "1 TB disks that get 100 MB/sec?! Who would use those? These SCSI disks are plenty fast already."

It is just a matter of time before those speeds become normal.

Back