• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Distro for really old pcs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

I'm looking for a good distro for really old computers. Like p3 era, athlon xp. Stuff like that.

Just looking for some suggestions.

I'm looking for a good distro for really old computers. Like p3 era, athlon xp. Stuff like that.

Just looking for some suggestions.

Up until maybe two years ago I had a 333MHz Pentium Pro that I ran with vanilla Ubuntu (Hardy I think.) These days I'd use Xubuntu.
The box was the most reliable PC I ever had. IBM IntelliStation.

Debian(Squeeze) runs like a champ on my old IBM:
Code:
hrsetrdr@IBM:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 547.567
cache size	: 256 KB

I had a Gateway 2Ghz P4 laptop that had Lubuntu on it and ran pretty darn good. Much better than the XP that was on it.

I'd say it depends on what you intend to do with the machine. What DE/WM you want to use and how comfortable you are with Linux.

Debian, Arch, Slackware, Gentoo and most of their spinoffs are great on any type of hardware, if you're installing just the core and afterwards adding things that you really need. Instead of installing some 4GBs of bloat and eyecandy.

Since Debian is the most (new) user friendly of the bunch, I'd throw my vote behind a basic Debian install and then adding LXDE to it, or OpenBox. Those are two lightest desktop environments that come to mind.

Forgot to mention... it's not just the distro that will have an effect on how your system runs but applications you use as well. For example, Firefox might be the most popular option, but it's by far not the most lightweight browser outhere.

For a pretty nifty list with lightweight apps, give these two wiki entries a look. Both have some really good alternatives to the more mainstream apps that come bundled with DEs.

Lightweight Applications
And a forum entry with user voted lightest and fastest apps of 2011

Slitaz:
http://www.slitaz.org/en/

Requirements:
SliTaz GNU/Linux supports all machines based on the i486 or x86 Intel compatible processors. The "core" LiveCD environment requires 192 MB of RAM to run efficiently. Additionally, there is a reduced functionality graphical installer LiveCD environment titled "loram-slitaz" which requires 80 MB to run efficiently. Finally, there is the "loram-slitaz-cdrom" flavor, which is a simple text-based installer, and it requires 16 MB. Regardless of installation method, however, SliTaz requires at least 16 MB of RAM to run efficiently.[9]
The low system requirements make SliTaz particularly suited to Netbook computers. As such, SliTaz includes support for a wide range of Netbooks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SliTaz#System_requirements

Weird name, good distro.

I ran puppy Linux on a Pentium II / 64MB Dell Latitude for awhile :) for its power requirements if has a lot of features.

+1 for Puppy.

Puppy runs in ram so it's really fast on old systems especially with slow hard drives.

Up until maybe two years ago I had a 333MHz Pentium Pro that I ran with vanilla Ubuntu (Hardy I think.) These days I'd use Xubuntu.
The box was the most reliable PC I ever had. IBM IntelliStation.

Lubuntu might be a better choice than Xubuntu since it's a smaller distro.

Last edited:
Back