• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing laptop screen with a touch screen...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e.shol

I currently have a Sony Vaio VGN CR515E laptop (pretty old - purchased in 2008), sitting around that I'd like to re-vamp for Windows 8 coming out.

Is there any possibility that I might be able to take it apart and add a touchscreen, or am I just being naive?

There really isn't any standardization in laptops. If you can pull this off, it would probably be with some serious modding. I have no idea how you would be able to get a touch screen to interface with the rest of the machine.

If your machine had an option for a touchscreen at the time of purchase, it's probably infinitely times easier. If it was never meant for a touch screen, you're probably out of luck.

Essentially what that's telling you to do is take apart the laptop, rip the keyboard out, use a soldering iron to melt/solder the plastic from the screen casing to where the keyboard use to be (essentially making the computer a slate), and then using an infrared pen to mimic a touch screen. It's not actually a touch screen, it's just a USB pen with a gyroscope that senses the movement of the pen and translates that to mouse movements.

Not really a touchscreen, per say.

Ah, I see. I seem to have completely misread that article.

Are there any touch screen LCD screens out there that I could simply just replace my current LCD screen with?

This is a fairly old computer and I'm open to experimentation, so I'm open to suggestions!

If you really want to get fancy (and this only being slightly possible):

Get the touchscreen panel and figure out the pinout. On the small chance that the touchscreen capabilities and monitor capabilities are on separate pins, and that the monitor pins are the same as a laptop screen, you would just have to rewire those into the monitor cable on the laptop to get a picture. For the touchscreen capabilities, you could wire those to a cheap board, like an Adurino or RaspberryPi, have those convert the I/O inputs from the touchscreen into something the computer could actually use, then pass those into the laptop through USB?

Doesn't sound too bad, but a little out of my league and knowledge-range (I'd still like to try it, though!)

Would you be interested in walking me through it if attempted?

Honestly the probability of that working is like 1%, that's assuming the connectors for the touchscreen are exactly like I assumed they were (pretty unlikely), and I'd have zero clue where to start on the programming side of it. Getting a touchscreen to work on a laptop it isn't supposed to is near impossible...you're essentially writing the drivers for it from scratch.

Back