• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ivy bridge cpu cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newuser1

Registered
I think I have a high temperature on my cpu and I am looking for a way to cool it down.

I just upgraded from i7 2600k to i7 3770k. I used the same cpu cooler for i7 2600k and temperature was about 28-32C on idle and 58C at 70% CPU on 4GHZ overclocked.

I installed i7 3770k on same motherboard and same cooler, with arctitc silver5, then temperatue was about 97C. I do not know exactly the problem there. I tried several times, still same result. then I decided to put stock cooler. temperatue is now at 44C on idle at stock speed, room temperature 30C. I also opened the case lay it down with a fan blowing to it now.

can any body recommend at cooler maybe dual fan cooler or water cooling system or maybe a thermalelectric product for me? I need intel push pin type. I don't want to take motherboard out.

Most if not all good cooling solutions require a bracket to be attached behind the mobo so... i would shoot for a zalman cnpsx10 extreme I had one on my 2500k @ 4.8ghz running p95 never went above 65*c. If you want to protect your investment don't settle for a cheap OEM style push pin setup.

what was your old air cooler's model?

and IB chips can get hot, so you should probably protect your investment by getting a better air cooler. any pictures to show us so we can help you more?

we need details to give u a good solution.

Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 is a good cooler, you will need to take out the motherboard.

Last edited:
Like these guys have already said, most any high performance cooler is going to require you to remove the motherboard at least once to install the retention system for mounting a good heatsink. But once the retention system is installed, you will be able to remove and reinstall the heatsink itself without having to remove the motherboard. And newer cases have a cutout in the socket area of the mobo mounting panel that lets you install retention systems without removing the motherboard.

What case and motherboard are you using?

I don't remember model of my old cooler, I believe it is cooler master TX3.

I know ivy bridge can get hot but what is normal temperature should be? I have seen some discussion on web say they could get 29C on idle with air cooler. I have 45C at 5% CPU at room temperture 30C on stock cooler. I think that is a bit high. weather was extreme hot here last few days, and room temperature reached 33C. would room temperature affect CPU temperature too?

I really don't want to take motherboard out. there is tons of wires and stuff in there I would need assemble everything again.

I have done some research to find a dual fan cooler or water cooler, with push pin, no good result. any suggestion?

Attachments

• IMG_20120624_120013[1].jpg
    IMG_20120624_120013[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 560
  • IMG_20120624_120137[1].jpg
    IMG_20120624_120137[1].jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 523
  • CPU.png
    CPU.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_20120624_120211[1].jpg
    IMG_20120624_120211[1].jpg
    957 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_20120624_120037[1].jpg
    IMG_20120624_120037[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 537
There aren't any decent coolers that are push pin for a reason. Push pins don't give enough mount pressure to be really effective.

Like someone said before, I'd just get a TRUE Spirit 140. And take a day to do some wire management.

That cooler master you have gave you trouble because you did not have the push pins locked in correctly, that's why you had more heat than the stock intel one.:-/

You don't want to remove the motherboard because it's too hard to do?

No real quality cooling solutions use pushpins. You have to do work on your own, the lazy way is just to buy an Apple PC next time.

But, if they don't want to do the work to have a custom PC, what do you do? Lead them on, the world is a happy place? It's not.............. Unless you do the work required.

The only heatsink I would recommend that doesn't require you to remove the mobo and will give better cooling than the Intel junk would be the Arctic Cooler Freezer 13 Pro, which Sidewinder has on sale for $25 plus shipping. That will give decent performance, especially when factoring the price in and the fact that you don't have to remove the mobo. The RM that they use is actually pretty ingenious in desing and dead easy to install. It cooled well enough to be able to handle an i7 930 overclocked to 4 GHz and those old Nehelam procs are hot running.

I think stock cooler is installed really tight, when push more the board may break.

right now, CPU at 8-10%, room temperature at 28C, CPU 45C. does room temp also make the CPU temp increase?

the case I have is raidmax smildon, I think it was manufactured in a cheap way, panel on motherboard side could not close perfectly, otherwise it will be easily get grounding issue when install motherboard, so I really don't want to get a cooler that require to remove motherboard.

how is the freezer 13 pro installed? the bracket look like need to be mounted to motherboard. but how to install it without removing the board? how do those pins tighten it ?

Remove the mobo and install the cooler again. The ONLY way to make sure the pins are right is to visually inspect them. They are that funky and bad. Cheaply made and only robots can do it right 100 out of 100 times.

And yes, it's basic physics. 1 C in room increase, 1 C in processor temps, or close enough unless your a NASA scientist.

The Intel mounting system for the Freezer 13 Pro is dead simple. You simply position the retention module over the hols in the mobo and then push some pushpins through the holes to lock the retention module to the mobo. Unlike the Intel pushpins, these are pretty easy to tell if you have them installed right. Once the retention module is mounted to the mobo, the heatsink is attached to the retention module with 2 screws. Much, much better than the stock Intel junk.

BTW, I don't know if you knew this but even Intel has started going away from the pushpins crap with the round heatsinks for their premium coolers they send with their high dollar processors such as the 980X and 990X. They use a backplate that requires the mobo to be pulled out to mount the heatsink.

Where does this one come from?;)

LOLOLOL! I almost made a reference, but we really had no NASA guys help in that absolutely funny thread........:rofl:

And Waskowitz is a NASA astronaut. We await his return to Prime time, do we need his input from a guy nicknamed "Fruit Loops"?

From the Big Bang Theory TV show. I love it. To have such friends and the chance to work at a university for peanut wages...........:drool:

Sorry for the derail..................:blah:

The only heatsink I would recommend that doesn't require you to remove the mobo and will give better cooling than the Intel junk would be the Arctic Cooler Freezer 13 Pro, which Sidewinder has on sale for $25 plus shipping. That will give decent performance, especially when factoring the price in and the fact that you don't have to remove the mobo. The RM that they use is actually pretty ingenious in desing and dead easy to install. It cooled well enough to be able to handle an i7 930 overclocked to 4 GHz and those old Nehelam procs are hot running.

I searched for socket socket 1155 cooler with pre-applied thermal compound, result all came from arctic cooling. Alpine 11 GT Rev. 2, Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2, Freezer 11 LP, Freezer XTREME Rev. 2, Freezer 13 Limited Edition, Freezer 13 PRO. which one is better? or is there better choice?

Arctic's heatsink page is right here, if you want to check out those heatsinks you listed.

Of the ones you listed, the Freezer 13 Pro (and Freezer 13 Pro CO) are by far the best of their offerings for you. You can read my review of the Freezer 13 Pro CO right here if you are interested in it's performance. BTW, the only difference between the Freezer 13 Pro and Freezer 13 Pro CO is that the fan uses a better bearing package on the CO model, but are otherwise the same. They also come with pre-applied MX-4 on the heatsink, but that is good for exactly 1 mount. I would recommend getting some more thermal goop if you don't already have some at the house in case you have to remove the heatsink for any reason, like cleaning it down the road. The MX-4 that comes pre-applied is some good stuff, so you can get a tube of that along with the heatsink.

I tested the Freezer 13 Pro CO on an LGA1366 system, but the mounting procedure is exactly the same for LGA1155. Arctic also makes a newer model called the Freezer i30, but it also requires the removal of the motherboard to install a backplate.

Back