• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ivy bridge cpu cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yes Freezer 13 Pro looks good. it has extra spinning fan at base.

what about freezer 13 limited edition, freezer xtreme rev 2, freezer 11 LP? their features all stand out noise level, I do not care about noise, as long as it can bring down the temperature. freezer xtreme rev 2 is biggest size. how does it compare the freezer 13 pro?

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/assistant/cpu/chip/541

If you look at the page I linked to on Arctic's website, you will see a wattage cooling rating with each of their heatsinks. Here's what they have listed:

Freezer 13 Pro CO - 300 watts
Freezer 13 Pro - 300 watts
Freezer 13 Limited - 200 watts
Freezer Xtreme Rev 2 - 160 watts
Freezer 11 LP - 100 watts

How much it can cool. Watts is a unit of power, which is energy over time, so if the cooler has a cooling capacity of 300W, that means it can transfer 300 joules of heat energy every second.

Well I always tend to take manufacturer claims with a grain of salt. I prefer reviews by third parties. However, Muddocktor is very knowledgeable on the subject and performs very good heatsink reviews for the front page, so if he says it's okay, I'd trust that advice more than anything else.

But yes, if the spec is accurate, more cooling capacity is better.

That is your best choice I know of if you don't want to remove the mobo to mount the retention module for a higher performance heatsink. And $25 plus shipping from Sidewinder is a pretty good deal too. BTW, Sidewinder Computer Systems is a very reputable company that I have been buying from for several years. I would say that 90% of my cooling gear comes from either his store or Jab-tech when I am buying stuff.

Yeah, be sure to post up your results with it on Ivy Bridge. I haven't seen anybody using one with IB yet. And if you still have the 2600K around and are in an experimenting mood, you might want to try it with that processor too and see how high you can overclock it. There's not a big jump in IPC with IB over SB, so if it lets you overclock the 2600K significantly higher than with the 3770K, you might want to stick with the old proc. Or not, be as it may. ;)

actually I just sold the 2600K. I have asus P8Z68-V board. the highest overclock on 2600k is 4.5 GHZ, I tried set to 4.8 but system would become unstable not log in to windows.

what is difference between sandy bridge and ivy bridge?

which CPU you have?

He has a 980X, 930, two 2600Ks, a 2500K, and a QX9650.

Ivy Bridge is about 3-5% faster at equal clock speed, has PCIe 3.0 support, and draws less power than Sandy Bridge. However, it runs hotter and is harder to cool.

I also have a 3570K and a 3770K too. The 3770K is presently in use at 4.5 but I have the 3570K pulled out of any system at the moment as it's a freaking dog of a processor, especially compared to the 2500K I have.

Ok now. I just put on the Freezer 13 Pro. room temperature at 31C, CPU 3-7%, CPU temperature at 45-48C. I do not know why. maybe because room temperature too high?

I just run OCCT, intel burn test, realtemp. highest temperature at 77C at 100% CPU. better than using stock cooler 87-103C at 100% CPU.

I am running 3770k at 4.4 GHZ now. Temperature at 45C.

Attachments

• realtemp.png
    realtemp.png
    198 KB · Views: 101
  • intel burn test.png
    intel burn test.png
    148 KB · Views: 100
  • OCCT.png
    OCCT.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 99
  • OCCT- 2.png
    OCCT- 2.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
This case looks good but it does not have slide out motherboard tray. yes, the window behind motherboard make it easier to install a cooler that requires a backplate.

right now, I did the best I can do. room temperature at 30C, CPU temperature 42C. fan is spinning at almost full speed. CPU overclocked to 4.5 GHZ but with intel speed step on, it is 1600 GHZ sometimes. temperature does not change.

I know. I don't think I would do exotic mod like that.

I thought about try a thermal Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooling product, but was not 100% sure it is safe and I have trouble applying thermal compound on heatsink, I just decide stay with a new cooler with pre-applied thermal compound.

For all intents and purposes, pelts are obsolete at this point. Anything that comes with a pelt built-in is just a marketing gimmick at best and akin to a scam at worst. You made the right choice (though re-applying better thermal paste may help for a couple degrees, if you feel up to it at some point).

newuser

Ivy bridge cores are much smaller than Sandybridge. A traditonal heatpipe direct tocuh cooler needs to be mounted much like it is on AMD, fan blowing up/down not front to back

Archer (he posted above) made some insight into this over here

Back