• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Mosfet Cooling - Cheap Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Hi guys, I could use some help finding my options here. Not sure which retailers have the best selection of heatsinks for the PWM/Mosfet area.

I just got a maximus 5 extreme, however its missing the sink that wraps around the left and top side of the socket.

I naturally went to Newegg first, however their MOS-C1 C1100 cost 5 bucks more than the MOS-C1 C1100 at jab-tech for $9.50.

I don't have to get the MOS-C1 C1100 either - I don't care if they are copper, aluminum, or whatever. Cheap is good.

I'm also not sure how many of these I'll need to cover as much as the stock cooler does, or if the bigger version the MOS-C10 may give better coverage for my purpose.

Input or advice appreciated.

It might help to take a ruler, or similar measuring device and get a rough idea of the square inches you need to cover. Then you could calculate (based upon the given information from your links) how many sets you'll need, and which set would work best. Maybe take some paper/cardboard and cut squares in the same size as the potential heat sinks to see if you can get a nice layout with the different options.

I was going to recommend those Enzotech sinks - I have them on my GPU memory and they're great.

Maybe take some paper/cardboard and cut squares in the same size as the potential heat sinks to see if you can get a nice layout with the different options.

That's a great idea. I'll do that.

I didn't look, but will the one from your MVG work at all?

Tried that, however the mounting holes don't line up. Really close, but only 1 out of 4 screws can be connected at any one time. I had the thing unmounted from the MVG and tried to get it on there, just didn't line up right. I could use it the way it is, but its coverage isn't ideal, and I'm afraid with melt/ice, the sink could be displaced as things freeze up and I don't want to do anything thats pretty likely to fail with moving it around and stuff.

$13.99? Matt, you are the last of the big spenders.

I can't find much in the way of cheaper options. :-/ I also stole a mosfet heatsink from a dead MSI board, with intent to hack it into chunks and just sticking them on - I was going through cutting wheels on my dremel like nuts, and it was just really difficult.

FWIW, I didn't pay for the M5E either... I complained after my 2nd MVG started failing, and they sent me an M5E as a replacement. It didn't come with the heatsink, OCKey, or any other accessory so its not exactly retail quality but the price was right. The southbridge and below the socket sinks are also not final versions - good possibility the board I have isn't a final revision, but some kind of engineering unit.

I've used those little Enzotech deals in the past and they always worked well for me. Had to switch over to them when watercooling a TPower i45's northbridge (MOSFET sink was attached via heatpipe). They work great, just make sure you don't knock them off. :)

Looks like those are the best options by popular opinion. Gonna do the paper/cardboard thing to get an idea of which size will work best.

I swung by radioshack but they didn't have anything resembling a heatsink - not even anything I could try to dremel up into something workable.

Actually, I just found the cheapest option... I had mentioned I was going to put aftermarket sinks on, and shamino said it will be fine without them for LN2. I would not have guessed that.

I would make sure you get the pot nice and chilly before you start adding a ton of volts. 1.9v+ means those fets are doing a lot of work. ;)

cheapest option?

pull those copper heat spreaders off old systems or old mobos.
then get a strong 120mm fan you already have to just blow hard on it all day long.

aint elegant, but it worked for me when I was looking for options for my RIVE. :)

Ya, I don't have a whole lot of old boards, and the boards I do have I tried cutting up the old heatsinks and the dremel was really struggling with it... Hard also because I don't have any vice grips or anything to hold the stuff as I'm cutting it. (heatsinks get pretty hot when cutting them up)

I'm working on the insulation today - going to liquid electrical tape the back of the board, and vaseline across the entire top. Hopefully I'll run it tonight - I still have 2 3770Ks which haven't been tested, and I need to sell them.

As for load on the FETs before it gets cold that makes me a little nervous - I trust tho that Shamino has smashed mean voltage through these boards when frozen, and knows what he's telling me to do. I usually pull down temps by starting at 1.5V, then at -90C I increase volts to 1.7V or more... I usually put some load on things to help the thermal paste spread, but instead I'll just heat up the pot with a hair dryer before mounting.

Ya, I don't have a whole lot of old boards, and the boards I do have I tried cutting up the old heatsinks and the dremel was really struggling with it... Hard also because I don't have any vice grips or anything to hold the stuff as I'm cutting it. (heatsinks get pretty hot when cutting them up)

I'm working on the insulation today - going to liquid electrical tape the back of the board, and vaseline across the entire top. Hopefully I'll run it tonight - I still have 2 3770Ks which haven't been tested, and I need to sell them.

As for load on the FETs before it gets cold that makes me a little nervous - I trust tho that Shamino has smashed mean voltage through these boards when frozen, and knows what he's telling me to do. I usually pull down temps by starting at 1.5V, then at -90C I increase volts to 1.7V or more... I usually put some load on things to help the thermal paste spread, but instead I'll just heat up the pot with a hair dryer before mounting.

I like that idea. :thup:

Back