• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey, how do you unlock VDDC on the XFX 9770?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marjamar

So, is this black card more of a dark gray or what?

Been looking on the net and it seems some changes have been made to stop overvolt on this card.

I suppose I'd find a way to do this if it is possible, but thought I'd ask here while I do some searching.

Thanks.

-Rodger

Well so far, it's locked and will stay locked unless there's a BIOS update to unlock it. I am very curious how AMD thinks they can advertise a "BLACK" version of their products and fully cut-off 1/3 of the necessary features to allow overclocking. This is exactly the sort of thing that cause class action law suites. I get maybe 2 or 3 letter every year asking to be part of one. Never have, but I always do look at why there is a suite going on. Lawyers love this stuff...

-Rodger

First off unless it's a reference card then it's XFX not AMD that made the card and decides what it can and cannot do. Also whenever buying a non reference card it's always best to check beforehand if it has voltage control as manufacturers will stray from the reference design in favor of less expensive parts. And also this isn't (or at least shouldn't ) be a situation for a class action suit unless they stated it has something it doesn't. They are not required to allow you to run your hardware above their specifications if they don't want you to.

First off unless it's a reference card then it's XFX not AMD that made the card and decides what it can and cannot do. Also whenever buying a non reference card it's always best to check beforehand if it has voltage control as manufacturers will stray from the reference design in favor of less expensive parts. And also this isn't (or at least shouldn't ) be a situation for a class action suit unless they stated it has something it doesn't. They are not required to allow you to run your hardware above their specifications if they don't want you to.
I'm just venting... It just gripes me that the most important part to overclocking the card is locked. How they call this a black version is a mystery. Unless there's a fix for this, it will have to go back and I'll need to find a suitable replacement.

-Rodger

Well I checked for reveiws of the card (not surw if its the right one just searched xfx black 7970) and in the review they were able to control voltage with trixx if you haven't tried that yet.

VDDC is RAM and is NOT the most important part in overclocking. The core yields more results.

Which card? I see 9770 in the thread title and a 470 in your signature..... lets type a bit slower and get the right card out.

LOL @ Litigation... seriously. Unless you or you dad are a lawyer, that is just silly talk there.

So, there isn't any way I can find to overclock voltages on this card. It's too bad, it's a very nice card and quite fast in stock mode. I'd imagine it would do quite well on a custom water loop with full controls -- Which I though Black was suppose to mean.

BTW it's the "XFX R7970 Black Edition Overclocked" Model No. FX-797A-TD and Part No. FX-797a-TDBC.

I'm thinking strongly of returning it for the ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II review right here (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716975 ). I can exchange the water block for the model needed for this particular GPU.

-Rodger

I still want ti know why this guy us set ib overclocking the ram. While there are fauna to be had there the voltage increase doesn't help tremendously. Most cards do not have memory voltage adjust mental.t

I don't think he is. In both gpuz and the monitor in kombustor VDDC is the core voltage. gpuz shows mem I think as MVDDC.

I still want ti know why this guy us set ib overclocking the ram. While there are fauna to be had there the voltage increase doesn't help tremendously. Most cards do not have memory voltage adjust mental.t
I'll leave what VDDC is up to the people who design these cards say it is. All I know is, without some kind of voltage adjustment option on a graphics card, you are not going to reach optimum clocks.

-Rodger

It's RMA'd.

Still looking for the what James Edwards ("J") said (mimicking) about the "other" candidates he was testing with...

Anyone a movie fan here?

Maybe you can fill in the blanks. I'll give you the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th and last words. You fill in the rest:

"The _ _ _ _ of the _ _ _ _ of the _ _ _ _, sir".

Anyways, if you are maybe you can help me decide.

As always, thanks.

-Rodger

No movie goers I guess...

Well, made up my mind. Going to the MSI N680GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 680. This is the only card I could find that comes stock with full overclocking on vcore. There may be others, or may be ways to modify other to allow for this, but none I could find came with this stock.

I'll be using the new MSI N680GTX Lightning waterblock from EK, so I think I can get this up to a nice overclock for 24/7 use. I also do alot of video editing and rendering, and I was getting a bit jumpy about loosing my CUDA acceleration with an AMD card. I think this is the better way for me.

-Rodger

This is the only card I could find that comes stock with full overclocking on vcore.
What does that mean? Its a great card... but Im not sure what you mean by this statement.

Nvidia cards are neutered and limited in voltage by Nvidia to 1.21v I believe. You would want to look at the Asus 7970 Direct CU II. See the review on the front page.

The XFX card is overclocked, it doesn't say anything about overclocking.

The GTX680s are locked down by nvidia (unlike AMD, who do not lock things down). Not a whole lot of OCing to be done there other than memory.

No movie goers I guess...

Well, made up my mind. Going to the MSI N680GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 680. This is the only card I could find that comes stock with full overclocking on vcore. There may be others, or may be ways to modify other to allow for this, but none I could find came with this stock.

I'll be using the new MSI N680GTX Lightning waterblock from EK, so I think I can get this up to a nice overclock for 24/7 use. I also do alot of video editing and rendering, and I was getting a bit jumpy about loosing my CUDA acceleration with an AMD card. I think this is the better way for me.

-Rodger

Overclock your 680GTX and I will over clock my 7970.
Lets run some stats and see who comes out on top.

Well, what is the best card for overclocking? I'm still not committed as one of my sons wants me to add a 3rd monitor for gaming this new rig. I'm not against that, even though I'm not much on games myself. Seems I need at least a 3GB card if not more for all the games using 3 monitors.

-Rodger

3Gb cards, yep. Like I already mentioned... an Asus 7970 Direct CU II will give you voltage control and good cooling.

3Gb cards, yep. Like I already mentioned... an Asus 7970 Direct CU II will give you voltage control and good cooling.
I was just about to go to this card, but don't know if EK's waterblock would fit the "TOP" version. Also, I don't believe this is really available yet, or is it?

But since I guess I need the 3GB's, I need to find out.

-Rodger

Back